Monday, Oct. 7

Hulls finds 3-point shot in Sunday win against Chattanooga

It was only 40 minutes of basketball Sunday, but the Jordan Hulls 3-pointer is just fine.

After only attempting one 3-pointer and scoring four points in Friday’s season opener against Stony Brook , a more aggressive Hulls knocked down 6-of-9 from behind the arc Sunday in IU’s 78-53 victory against Chattanooga.

Any sign of a passive Hulls was shunned early as the junior guard opened up the scoring with a three pointer 38 seconds in.

With the Hoosiers down 18-15 early, Hulls knocked down his second three on the evening, igniting a 21-6 run to close out the half.

Following a timeout with 2:57 left in the first half the Mocs changed to a 2-3 zone defense but forgot to find No. 1.

Back-to-back threes for Hulls capped off his first half scoring (12 points ) and pushed the lead to double digits, a place IU would keep it for the rest of the game.

The first half was all Hulls and junior guard Victor Oladipo, as the two combined
for 24 points, equaling the Mocs entire output.

Hulls’s ability to stretch the defense spaced the floor for the Hoosier offense, and
his teammates took notice.

“I’ve been with Jordy since the summer in China, and I know what he’s capable of,” Oladipo said. “I know when he’s going, it’s hard to stop him, especially when he gets that three ball going. It’s really nice to see him hitting because it takes the pressure
off us, so hopefully he can continue to do that.”

To start the second half, Hulls once again recorded the Hoosiers’ first points, knocking down his fifth three-pointer of the night. Despite only playing 10 minutes in the second half, Hulls capped his night with his sixth and final three at the 5:13 mark, pushing the lead to 26 points.

On Friday against Stony Brook, Hulls took more of a facilitating role, dishing out six assists while only attempting three shots.

“The other game I just felt like I never had my feet with me,” Hulls said. “My shot didn’t feel as well. I was getting open looks tonight. I had open looks Friday. I just wasn’t taking them. If it was there, then I was going to shoot it.”

IU Coach Tom Crean said his staff had a meeting Sunday deciding on what to add
to the Mocs game plan. After deliberating, the coaches came back to the notion they
needed their point guard to pull the trigger.

“We wanted him to be more aggressive looking for his shot because there were numerous times the other night he passed up shots,” Crean said. “Him being  aggressive is really, really key for us.”

The six three-pointers for Hulls is the most since last year’s season opening win against Florida Gulf Coast and marked the third time in his career he has made at
least that many.

Hulls said a reason for his open looks was the constant double teaming of freshman
forward Cody Zeller. The attention paid to Zeller allowed for the shooter to get some clean looks, which he used to his advantage.

“I have to have the shooters mentality that the next one is going to go in, so we’ve got to keep on shooting,” Hulls said. “I may have passed up a couple on the fast break, but I just have to keep the mindset and keep shooting.”

Chattanooga Coach John Shulman said you have to pick your poison when trying
to guard the Hoosiers.

“I’d rather Hulls shoot one from 20 (feet) trying to get a hand up then just give up an uncontested layup or a post move that we can’t guard of Zeller,” Shulman said. “I thought we did a really good job with our double team, (on Zeller) but we did lose Hulls. He’s a good player. Looking at their team, I love that kid. I love that kid.”