Monday, Oct. 7

IU loses to Ohio State, 34-20

The Hoosiers entered Ohio Stadium as 28-point underdogs and left
just short of beating the Buckeyes for the first time since 1988.

True freshman quarterback Tre Roberson threw an interception in the final minutes as IU trailed 27-20, which led to a Buckeye touchdown drive to make it 34-20, which stood as the final score.

Roberson completed 11 passes for 174 yards, finding sophomore wide receiver Kofi Hughes eight times for 147 yards and a touchdown.

In the first quarter, the IU defense did something it hasn't done since playing against Illinois: it forced a turnover. Freshman Bobby Richardson knocked the ball out of Ohio State quarterback Braxton Miller's hands and senior Jeff Thomas recovered the loose ball.

IU would turn the turnover into a touchdown, as sophomore Stephen Houston finished the short drive with a five-yard touchdown run, but the Buckeyes were quick to respond.

Miller broke the longest run ever from an Ohio State quarterback, sprinting 81 yards to make it 10-7 with 5:58 left in the first quarter. Over the next eight minutes of gametime, both offenses struggled to find a rhythm, and the Buckeyes made two field goals to take a 13-10 lead.

In the middle of the second quarter, a 43-yard gain on a pass to sophomore Kofi Hughes put IU in position to make a 25-yard field goal to tie the game at 13 going into halftime.

The two teams exchanged touchdowns in the third quarter. Ohio State running back Dan Herron ran for a 15-yard touchdown with 10:05 remaining in the quarter, but the Hoosiers responded on their next drive.

Roberson found Hughes to convert on a third down, and then threw to him again four plays later, which resulted in a 34-yard touchdown to tie the game at 20.

Miller again ran for a touchdown with nine seconds remaining in the quarter, giving the Buckeyes a 27-20 lead entering the final quarter of play. After Roberson's interception