Sunday, Oct. 6

Jay-Z’s 99% problem

One of the criticisms of the Occupy Wall Street movement is a lack of leadership and cohesive voice. The cohesive voice is up for debate because of the media slants that have been taken against the protestors.

No one can deny they lack a single identifiable leader for their movement. With the absence of an identifiable leader, Mr. Sean Carter, also known as Jay-Z, thought he would try his hand at representing the protestors in their quest for equality.

Did I say representing? I must have Rick Perry-d right there. I meant to say profiting from. This past week, Jay-Z began selling T-shirts featuring the words: “Occupy All Streets” across the chest in support of the movement.

Apparently he didn’t support the movement enough to give them a cut of the revenue from the T-shirt sales. How can you blame him? The man only made $63 million in 2010 by writing rhymes about how much more money he makes than you.

To be fair, he also makes a good deal of revenue from owning part of the New Jersey Nets, so like many Americans, he has to work two jobs just to get by. Jay-Z might just be the supporter the Occupy movement needs. Surely his latest album “Watch the Throne” strengthened his connection with the financially distraught.

Remember the last time you teamed up with your millionaire best friend to release an album that recorded in Australia, Paris, New York City and Los Angeles?

Tough times inspire great music. Furthermore, Jay-Z was surely motivated by making less money in 2010 than his wife Beyonce, who made $87 million. I know. How embarrassing, right?

As with most rap lyrics, the meaning of the words on Jay-Z’s T-shirts is ambiguous. Nobody knows what it means, but it’s provocative. Well, that’s what it was intended to be, but in reality it’s just as provocative as if you were to read any of his lyrics out loud to yourself.

Additionally, it’s about as original as anything he has done during the last five years. You would think that a man who calls himself “Hov” (as in Jehovah), would understand the public backlash of profiting from the movement against corporate greed.

A rapper who was always known for his clever word play once said, “I’m not a businessman, I’m a business, man.” Too bad he wasn’t clever enough to realize he just angered a group who call themselves the 99 percent.

Had he realized the opportunity to show his support by giving a portion of the revenue to the movement, he would have been better off. He could have gained popularity with the older Occupiers, and he would have profited at the same time.

His image won’t be hurt that much from all of this, though. Not that it would matter if it were in danger; he makes millions by rapping the same song again and again. You don’t get more 1 percent than that.

­— agreiner@indiana.edu