Friday, Oct. 18

Young defense to face more conventional Buckeye offense

Both IU and Ohio State lost their first two games in Big Ten play. Since then, the teams have taken opposite paths to Saturday’s matchup in Columbus.

While the Hoosiers (1-8, 0-5) have lost their previous three games by a combined score of 163-69, the Buckeyes (5-3, 2-2) have defeated two ranked opponents in Illinois and Wisconsin.

Ohio State has relied heavily on its run game, centered around running back Dan Herron, who has rushed for 274 yards and a touchdown in the last two games.

Despite the Buckeye rushing attack that ranks 36th in the nation, IU Coach Kevin Wilson said focusing on that dimension of the Ohio State offense would not be smart.

“We can’t get lulled to sleep with their run, run, run,” Wilson said. “They hit you on a crack-and-go, they hit you on a double move, they hit you on a good play action because that’s their style. They are good in the pass game. ... They just get you asleep.”

Like the Hoosiers, Ohio State has given playing time to a true freshman quarterback this season after an experienced starter left.

True freshman Braxton Miller has seen playing time in the wake of Terrelle Pryor leaving for the NFL.

Pryor completed 24 of his 30 passes for three touchdowns against IU in 2010.

Both quarterbacks have the ability to run the ball, but Miller has not yet become the player Pryor was last season, junior defensive tackle Larry Black Jr. said.

“I wouldn’t compare him to Pryor yet, but he’s going to get there,” Black said. “He’s still a freshman, so we still have to be able to take advantage of that.”

Ohio State has been a fairly conventional, straightforward offensive team this season, different from the spread attack the IU defense faced against Northwestern last week, Co-Defensive Coordinator Doug Mallory said.

“It’s two totally different offenses,” Mallory said. “They don’t spread you out as much as what we saw last week. They play in tighter spaces and they count on their size and physicality to knock you out of there.”

Against a more conventional offense in Penn State, the Hoosiers allowed 16 points, the lowest total allowed by IU all season.

Defensive line players for IU will have an easier time against this offense,
Black said.

“Coming straight off the ball, man on man, there’s a chance for you to make more plays,” Black said. “It’s kind of fun.”

Senior linebacker Jeff Thomas, who missed last week’s loss against Northwestern with a separated shoulder, is expected to return, Wilson said.

He added that after senior linebacker Leon Beckum played hard last week upon returning from injury, he wants Thomas to do the same.

On the offensive side of the ball, sophomore wide receiver Duwyce Wilson is likely out for the season with an ACL injury, but junior center Will Matte has been practicing and should be involved.

Though Matte was listed as first on the depth chart this week, Wilson said redshirt freshman Collin Rahrig, who has played center for the last two games, will likely also get time at center.

Twelve freshmen started for IU last week, which is the most in the FBS this season.
Mallory said the young players are going through a bit of transition, and coaches are trying to simplify the schemes for them.

“When you’ve got a confused team out there and you’ve got kids out there making mental mistakes, you’re probably doing too much,” Mallory said. “It’s not what we know as a staff, it’s what the kids know, what they’re able to get out there and execute.”