Saturday, Sept. 28

Choirs, ensembles welcome holidays

Chimes

As a multitude of people, both young and old, filtered into the IU Auditorium, they were greeted by a gaily lit stage, practicing musicians and an overall sea of happy faces decorated with smiles of holiday cheer.

A booming voice from the speakers, placed strategically around the Auditorium, cued everybody to find a seat and prepare for a great performance.

“Welcome to the IU Auditorium and the Chimes of Christmas!” Douglas Booher, director of the IU Auditorium, announced to the waiting crowd.

The Prelude Serenade started off the evening in the lobby with pre-concert music by the Trombone Choir, which is directed by Blake Schlabach and Jared Rodin, according to the evening’s program. The Trombone Choir offered well-received renditions of different holiday songs.

“I thought the Trombone Choir was amazing,” senior Julian Morris said. “I’m glad they got to be a part of ‘The Chimes of Christmas’ this year.”

Once everybody had moved and sat in the Auditorium following the prelude, the IU Wind Ensemble played a “Rhapsody of Christmas Carols” and “We Wish You a Merry Christmas.”

Afterward, the curtains behind the Wind Ensemble lifted to reveal the famous Singing Hoosiers beneath a large, lit-up wreath and candles. The Hoosiers were dressed for the occasion with the women wearing festive white dresses and the men wearing complementary black tuxedos.

Performing with the Wind Ensemble, the Singing Hoosiers delighted the crowd with a rendition of “Adeste Fideles.”

The Hoosiers performed songs in different languages, spicing up the selections, and at the end of each song, the crowd erupted in applause.

Also featuring performances by groups such as the IU Vocal Jazz Ensemble, the Varsity Singers, the Singing Hoosiers Ballet Company and vocal soloists, the Chimes of Christmas offered a variety of different expressions of holiday cheer.

“I thought the show was amazing, especially the choreography done by Julian Ramos,” junior Andre Warren said.

The Vocal Jazz Ensemble sang “Baby, It’s Cold Outside,” followed by the performance of “Sleigh Ride” by the Wind Ensemble and The Varsity Singers.

The Singing Hoosiers Ballet Company also danced to “Waltz of the Flowers” from The Nutcracker Suite.

The Singing Hoosiers, the Wind Ensemble, and vocal soloists Madeline Stern, Michael Day and Abigail Rose Kunkel wrapped up the Chimes of Christmas.

“I loved the whole show,” junior Adam Smith said. “I liked the Varsity Singers in particular. They did an excellent job.”

The audience was invited to sing along with some of them. The Auditorium rang with the voices of many people singing “Carols of the Season,” “Hark the Herald Angels Sing,” “Joy to the World” and “Silent Night.” The audience kept up with the help of the Singing Hoosiers.

The final song of the evening was “Dona Nobis Pacem,” performed by the Singing Hoosiers.

Once again, the Chimes of Christmas marked the beginning of the season with its holiday cheer and tradition, Smith said.