Saturday, Sept. 28

Songs from famed composer duo performed at Buskirk

“New York, New York,” the theme song and namesake of Martin Scorsese’s movie, has been well known since 1977, in part thanks to Frank Sinatra’s rendition of the number.

The catchy introduction of “All That Jazz” is instantly recognized by lovers of musical theater.

These songs, among many others, are just an example of the creativity and talent of John Kander and Fred Ebb, a songwriting duo known for stage musicals.

On Friday and Saturday, the Union Board Performing Arts Committee presented a show featuring a variety of the duo’s songs in “An Evening of Kander and Ebb” at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

The show, directed by IU professor and doctoral student Neal Utterback, featured mostly songs from the musical “Chicago.” Songs from “Curtains” and “Cabaret” were also presented.

Originally, the cast was supposed to perform the original production of “Chicago,” but due to problems obtaining the proper licensing for the show, cast members had to change their performance in very little time.

“We just moved forward and got the rights to individual songs and instead did a compilation of Kander and Ebb,” said Markus McClain, a freshman in musical theater and one of the show’s choreographers.

He worked alongside sophomore Julian Ramos choreographing this production.
In only two weeks, the cast managed to put together a new production with the music of Kander and Ebb.

“Once we were told that we didn’t have the rights, we had already been
learning the music, but we kept rehearsing,” said Nat Zegree, the musical director. “For the most part, I think it worked out really well.”

Zegree is a freshman studying musical theater. He played Mary Sunshine in the show and accompanied on the piano for most of the songs.

Despite the number of conflicts they encountered, directors, choreographers and the cast said they worked hard to put together an enjoyable and fun production.

“They are probably the most talented and professional group of people I have ever worked with,” Utterback said. “Practically at the last minute, we were thrown a curve ball, and we had to adjust, and the cast didn’t miss a beat.”

Utterback is currently working toward his doctorate degree in theater and cognitive science. He has worked as a director, actor and playwright.

Some of his original works include “Second” and a theatrical adaptation of the novel “The Picture of Dorian Gray,” which premiered during the summer of 2009 at the Absolut Dublin Gay Theatre Festival in Ireland.

The production earned nominations for Outstanding Production and Outstanding New Writing in Theatre at the festival.

His vision for “An Evening with Kander and Ebb” was based on Bob Fosse’s concept of the mechanics of theatre. Fosse was the co-director and choreographer of the original “Chicago” production.

“We wanted (the audience) to see the lights, the backstage, the actors off stage,” Utterback said. “You always were reminded you were in a theater watching performers.”

During the musical numbers, cast members stayed off stage but visible to the audience, striking classic Vaudeville poses.

“We decided to do a more simple take on the show,” said junior Erica Johnson. Johnson played Velma Kelly, a role made popular by Catherine Zeta-Jones’ interpretation of the character in the 2002 movie version of the production.

Various facets of the production embodied Utterback’s intention, from the all-black costumes of the cast to the simplistic set pieces and props used.

“It’s definitely different than the musical ‘Chicago.’ It’s more fast-paced,” said Sarah Caroline Billings, a sophomore who played Roxie Hart. “Neal said it’s like a runaway train. It doesn’t stop, and it just keeps going till the end.”

Ramos and McClain had to keep this vision in mind, as well.

“You had to think more outside of the box and choreograph while thinking about the basic mechanics of theater and how I can make a kick look like a basic kick,” Ramos said.

In the end, the team managed to create a production audience members responded well to.

Dave Crutchfield, father of one of the performers, said although he wasn’t familiar with the musical “Chicago,” he did recognize some of the songs in the show.

“I am an enormous jazz fan,” said Crutchfield. “Musical programs are wonderful in Bloomington. It is such an influential place.”

Madeline Stern, a sophomore studying voice and theater, said she appreciated the flow and direction of the production.

“Considering the fact that there was no set, the stage never felt empty at all,”
Stern said.