Saturday, Sept. 28

Bearcats play in jazz series

Bearcats

The families dining in the front section of Bear’s Place on Jan. 4 were oblivious to the loud jazz being played just a few feet away.

Through the bar area and behind a set of doors, the B-town Bearcats were performing a three-hour long concert as part of the Jazz Fables Concert Series.

More than 30 people gathered to watch the six-member band play songs in tribute to New Orleans and traditional jazz. Wednesday marked the return of the series after a two-week break while Bear’s Place was closed for the holidays.

The Dixieland-style band featured Robin Hopkins on the banjo, Bill James on the clarinet, Jack Shelton on the trumpet, Danny Hughey on the trombone, Phil Sloffer on the tuba, Don Stejskal on the drums and Kathleen Miller as the vocalist.

Although the Bearcats were missing their pianist and leader, Mike Lucas, who was recovering from an illness, they still pulled their songs together.

As the band prepared to play “Lazybones,” a composition originally by Hoagy Carmichael, Hopkins said he’d been stumbling with the song.

“Maybe I’ll get it this time,” he said as the band started playing.

Hopkins strummed along in perfect unison, showing the cohesiveness of the band despite the lack of a leader.

The B-town Bearcats is one of many bands to perform in the weekly Jazz Fables concerts — the jazz series that founder David Miller called the longest running in Bloomington.

Jazz Fables began 35 years ago as an outlet for the Jazz Fables Quintet to perform regularly. But as members of the original group left town and were replaced, new bands were introduced into the lineup that soon became a series.

Miller, part of the original Jazz Fables Quintet, said Bear’s Place is a great location for the events because of both the atmosphere and the audience it attracts.

“The main thing about performing here is the cultivated and music attentive audience,” Miller said. “Although many people come here to have a good time and socialize, it’s clear that they’ve learned to respect the music.”

It was clear that last night’s audience was both knowledgeable and attentive as they applauded specific solos or lines of songs — recognizing the talent.

“Some places have jazz in the background,” Miller said. “But here, it’s pretty clear that the concert is the main show.”

The audience acknowledged the fact and rarely attempted conversation over the tunes of Jelly Roll Morton, Louis Armstrong and Hoagy Carmichael.

“I came back here to have a drink with a friend, but I really wasn’t too disappointed when we had to listen to the music instead of each other,” said Bloomington resident Amy Lucas. “It’s a nice change of pace from the other bars and restaurants in Bloomington — it kind of has a big city feel.”

Now, Miller is planning ahead for a big event in the series: the IU All-Star Jazz Alumni Quintet on Jan. 19. The concert will be an unofficial prequel to IU’s celebration of Bloomington jazz legend David Baker’s 80th birthday. 

“The concert, among others, should serve as a reminder and as proof of the legitimacy of IU’s jazz department,” Miller said.