Saturday, Sept. 28

Bluebird benefit to raise funds for scholarships

When Pizza X delivery driver Adam Sarnecki was murdered on the job nearly two months ago, he left behind a fiancée and three children — a family in need of help.

Two of the children, McKenzie, six, and Aydeon, three, are from fiancée Tiffany Josh’s prior relationships. The couple also had a son, Gabriel, together who is still an infant.
But Josh has big plans for her children’s future — and in a little more than 10 years, that will require coming up with money for higher education.

Starting at 8 p.m. Friday, guitars will be both strummed and sold at the Bluebird Bar in an effort to raise funds for Sarnecki’s children.

The Bluebird will charge a $5 cover, the proceeds of which will go to providing additional supplemental educational scholarships throughout Monroe County through The Updraft organization.

The Updraft is an organization aimed at providing financial aid in support of low-income students and foster children entering institutions of higher education.

The Updraft Supplemental Scholarship Project covers the cost of books, room and board, parking fees and lab fees.

Jerry Kemp, president of The Updraft, said all funds raised will be split evenly between Sarnecki’s three children and the Supplemental Scholarship Project.

Kemp & Associates will partner with Pizza X to co-sponsor the benefit concert and silent auction.

Pizza X has already donated three days worth of proceeds, in November, to the Adam Sarnecki Family Fund, totalling $30,000 in sales and $12,000 in additional donations.

Concert performers include Clayton Anderson, Od Koga, 3rd Eye Visionaries, The American Night, Elephant Quiz, DJ Topspeed and Pet Monkey.

A guitar autographed by John Mellencamp will be sold in the silent auction, among other items.

Kemp, who also founded Kemp & Associates, said although funds are already in place to help the family with daily expenses, the children will need additional help in the future to attain an education.

All musicians will perform free of charge to help the cause. Anderson said he is glad he can participate in this opportunity to ease the family’s mind.

Josh also plans to speak at the benefit.

“There are no words to express how grateful we are,” she said in a press release.

“Our family is forever indebted to everyone who helped us through this
hard time.”

Along with the cover charge and proceeds from the silent auction, there will be locations set up around the Bluebird for additional donations.

Donations can also be made online at donate.theupdraft.org or pizzaxbloomington.com.