Saturday, Sept. 28

Local art teachers show work in bank lobby

ONDArt

An educator’s perspective of Bloomington’s thriving local art scene has found its way into a prominent financial center.

Old National Bank on Kirkwood Avenue is featuring Teachers As Artists, an exhibit showing the art of teachers from the Monroe County Community School Corporation.

“The lobby takes on a whole new character,” said Mark Bradford, regional president at Old National. “It’s a contribution we can make to the wonderful art community here.”

The bank has been featuring local art for many years, but this is the first time its displayed work specifically from teachers.

“It’s a great way to bring people in and welcome them,” Bradford said.

Many of the educators whose work was featured enjoyed the support at the exhibit’s opening reception Thursday night, including Daria Smith, a teacher at Bloomington High School North who instructs students on a variety of artistic mediums.

“It’s like that saying ‘Those who can, do; those who can’t, teach,’” she said. “We like to show that we can do and we can teach.”

Smith socialized around her acrylic paintings and ceramics with community members who came out for the opening.

Having previously displayed her work at the bank with different groups, she said she’s always impressed with the venue.

“As teachers, we always take the opportunity to add to the arts,” she said. “We take what we do very seriously.”

Community members enjoyed hor d’oeuvres from Bloomington Cooking School and a wine bar as they connected with each other.

“You see people that support the art community at these exhibits,” said Terry Morgan, a Bloomington resident. “The president of the city council is here, and a lot of people usually make it out.”

Some older students also came to see a different side of their teachers.

BHSN senior Holly Colvin said she appreciated the chance to talk with the teachers about their work and learn from them as she puts together her portfolio.

“Since teachers get to see our artwork, it’s interesting to see their’s,” she said. “I think a lot of it is really impressive.”

The work will remain on display through mid-March. All the work is for sale, with 100 percent of the proceeds benefiting the artists.