Saturday, Sept. 28

Modern dance members awarded new grant funding

Just a day before the IU Dance Theater’s premier of the “Contemporary Voices” annual concert, a modern dance recital featuring unconventional work by IU faculty and guest choreographers, members of IU’s modern dance faculty were awarded funding from various performance grants.

Selene Carter, George Pinney and Elizabeth Shea, faculty members in the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation, were selected to receive funding from grants.

The funding was established in memory of Fran Snygg, a former professor of modern dance and associate dean of faculties.

Fran Snygg Grant for Artistic Collaboration

Shea received a $1,500 grant for her involvement in “Celebrating 85 Years of Modern Dance at Indiana University,” an anniversary event planned for next year. “Modern Dance at Indiana University” has a performance scheduled for the IU Auditorium.
Shea will use the grant for artistic fees and licensing for “Mattress Suite,” a contemporary piece by New York choreographers Larry Keigwin and Nicole Wolcott.

Fran Snygg Endowment Fund

The Frann Snygg Endowment Fund, which provides a total of up to $2,000 a year, was created to promote the appreciation and awareness of dance as a performing art.
Carter was selected to receive funding for “Seeing Choices: Scored and Improvised Dance in Performance,” an improvised dance involving 11 dancers and one musician, who will create a score on the spot.

The “Seeing Choices” performance will include a 10-minute audience participation period where audience members will have the opportunity to request the calls for the performers dance.

Pinney was awarded funding for “Stop!,” a contemporary dance piece created for this weekend’s “Contemporary Voices.” Through dance, the piece encourages audience members to take action when they observe bullying.

—Michelle Sokol