Saturday, Sept. 28

Music, art benefit medical assistance trips to Nicaragua

Benefit for Nicaragua

Sounds of live Latin music echoed from the second floor of the IU Art Museum Monday night at the Art Museum Student Organization’s Benefit for Nicaragua.

AMSO, a new organization created in fall 2011, partnered with La Casa Latino Cultural Center and the Nicaraguan American Nurses Association for the event.

The Nicaraguan American Nurses Association, or NANA, is based in Florida and works to provide professional development for nurses and provide health education.

Katy Robertson, president of AMSO, said she was familiar with NANA because her aunt and uncle both work for the association. Robertson’s aunt was born in Nicaragua and lived there during the 1979 revolution.

“I’ve seen all the good work they do out there and how much money they need for supplies,” Robertson said. “All donations are going toward their medical assistance trips out in the countryside of Nicaragua.”

Robertson said she hoped students who weren’t able to donate money would use leftover I-bucks to purchase hygienic supplies.

Scattered dollar bills, a couple of twenties and a new toothbrush sat in the donation bowl to the left of the table that held nachos and drinks for guests.

AMSO’s event coordinator, junior Carly Lillwitz, planned the event. She said she wanted the benefit to give students insight about true Nicaraguan culture.

“We wanted to tie the art and the experience together,” Lillwitz said. “We spent a lot of time looking for an authentic band.”

Jiridon, the live band, consists mainly of members with Latin American roots. They performed songs in Spanish, as well as original works by band members.

The singers came out and danced in the crowd. Guests tapped their feet and shook their hips in time with the lively music.

The event also included two guided tours of Mesoamerican art and a slideshow of pictures from Nicaragua.

The slideshow featured photos of children learning to write, people waiting for medical check-ups and landscapes.

While Roberston said more than 200 students attended Art After Dark, AMSO’s fall event, the benefit had a small turnout during the first hour. She attributed this to students still being in class and the cold weather.

Senior Ashley Ritter said she heard about the benefit because some of her friends were involved, but she attended because she thought it was important.

“It’s very important to have an understanding of where people come from,” Ritter said. “I’m very interested in different cultures.”

AMSO’s next event will be a student art auction from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Feb. 23 in the Thomas T. Solley Atrium at the museum.