Saturday, Sept. 28

Wellness Arts Cafe offers local comfort tea

wellness cafe

Patricia Coleman sat behind her desk and beamed as customers browsed her eco-friendly store. The shop, Patricia’s Wellness Arts Café and Quilter’s Comfort Tea, specializes in locally brewed tea, natural cosmetics and organic dye art.

Coleman is the owner and tea connoisseur. Her café exudes an earthy vibe, while welcoming customers with free daily tea tastings.

As founder of Local Food Bloomington, Coleman’s Wellness Arts Café embodies desire to give back to the community she has received so much support from.

The café opened early in October, and Bloomington residents have already shown interest in the store. Peiling Chin, a first-time customer at Wellness Cafe, was attracted to the sustainability aspect of the store.  

“I think this store is very lovely, and I appreciate the eco-friendly feel of the store,” Chin said. “Everything is local and natural, and that’s what brought me in.” 

Coleman’s interest in brewing tea has influenced her collaboration with local fair-trade merchants and organic traders today. Her trademark “I Love Me” series blends lavender, green tea and herbs for a beverage choice or body cream. January is “Hot Tea Month,” and customers are encouraged to try as many tea options as possible.

Tea jellies and syrups prepared fresh from tea blends are the store’s best sellers. With 14 more tea blends to be released, the store is giving the community enough
reasons to drop coffee mugs and turn to tea.

Michiko Owaki, a window shopper, said she enjoyed that almost everything in the store is handmade.

“I really like the fact that most of the products here are made by the owner herself,” she said. “The tie dye clothing and the art work is all so creative.” 

Coleman’s store also sells artwork and sculpture by local artists and, though tea products are affordable, the artwork goes for a high price. Coleman also takes appointments for Reiki, an energy healing method, and another energy healing technique known as reconnective healing.

“There are so many fantastic people in Bloomington, and I’m so happy to be able to be a part of this close-knit community,” Coleman said.

Patricia’s Wellness Arts Café and Quilter’s Comfort Tea is open from 1 to 6 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday and from 1 to 8 p.m. the first Friday of every month.