Saturday, Sept. 28

Adventure film festival to screen at IU

The Banff Mountain Film Festival will make a stop in Bloomington on March 31 and April 1, but Sunday, students had a chance to vote for the films they want see.

The festival features films about sports, including rock climbing, mountain biking and snow sports, but also brings up important environmental messages.

The festival travels to a total of 32 countries, and this will be the 10th year Bloomington will screen the event.

At the pre-screening in the Radio and TV Building, about 40 students watched three- to four-minute clips of each of the movies from the original, nine-day festival at the Banff Centre in Alberta, Canada.

Matthew Ahlberg, Banff Committee advisor, said not all communities have the demand for a nine-day festival, so only a few films are selected for each stop on the tour. He said in the past, Bloomington has only screened festival films for one day but recently switched to a two-day festival format.

The festival is sponsored by IU Outdoor Adventures.

“IU Outdoor adventures has been in Bloomington for quite some time now,” Ahlberg said. “I think it really speaks to the adventure community we have here in Bloomington.”

Tuesday, a small festival committee cross-referenced feedback from Sunday’s pre-screening with critic reviews to establish a final schedule for the official screening next month. The schedule has not yet been released.

Tickets for the festival will go on sale March 1, and all proceeds will benefit IU Trip Leader Club.

Banff Mountain Film Festival

WHEN 8 p.m. March 31 and April 1

WHERE Buskirk-Chumley Theater

MORE INFO Prices vary between $10-$27, check out buskirkchumley.org