Saturday, Sept. 28

Bourdain, Ripert talk sustainability, health at IU Auditorium

“I’m very live and let-live now. I’m all about love,” Anthony Bourdain said last night to a nearly sold-out crowd in the IU Auditorium.

Known as one of the culinary world’s most notorious bad-boys, Bourdain visited Bloomington with celebrated chef and best friend Eric Ripert.

The tour, called “Good vs. Evil: An Evening with Anthony Bourdain & Eric Ripert,” played off the infamous reputation of Bourdain and the revered image of Ripert.

Opening the show with a roast, Bourdain immediately began grilling Ripert on his citizenship status and his experience eating a bird from the endangered species list.

“Ripert? Ripert? Is that a French name? What is your immigration status?”
Bourdain asked.

Ripert returned the favor, delving into questions about Bourdain’s highly-publicized media fight against Paula Deen and his past drug addiction.

The roast, which was entertaining and informative, gave way to a more informal talk between the two friends.

With the change in format came a change in tone and topic. No longer did Ripert ask Bourdain about the wart-hog rectum he ate in Namibia — instead, the two discussed U.S. sustainability practices.

“We are visitors to this planet, and we came and it was in a certain state,” Ripert said.

Ripert iterated the need to leave the world in a better state than we receive it. Bourdain agreed and promoted eating healthily, shopping for organic items and treating animals
ethically.

Bourdain’s spat with Deen also brought up the unhealthy style of some Americans’ eating habits.

With the rise of Type 2 diabetes, Bourdain and Ripert argued, it’s no surprise most Americans are eating poorly.

Bourdain found celebrity chefs such as Deen irresponsible and misleading to a generation of eaters who don’t necessarily know how to make healthy choices.

Ripert also suggested the American public start eating more wisely.

While acknowledging that the entire population could not afford to focus on its health by eating organically and sustainably, Ripert insisted those who could afford the challenge should take part in the fight against diabetes and similar diseases.

That doesn’t mean, however, that both Bourdain and Ripert are the world’s healthiest eaters.

“I have absolutely no guilt when it comes to eating,” Ripert said.

With such expansive palates, the two touched on the role of food in their life. Both agreed their fondest memories were often of the simplest dishes of their childhood.

Audience member Annie Chester said she felt this sentiment was most relatable.

“I definitely loved when they were talking about childhood memories,” Chester said.
“It was the closest connection to them as people because they were celebrities.”

Bourdain is best-known for his book and television shows “No Reservations” and “The Layover.”

Ripert has become a celebrity chef at the famed Le Bernardin restaurant in New York City, which is known for it’s expensive plates and refined taste.

Ripert also has a PBS television show titled “Avec Eric.”

Both men are celebrities in the viewers’ eyes, which might explain Bourdain’s new claim that he’s “all about love.”

Calling Emeril nice, admitting wonder at Guy Fieri’s stardom and even expressing positive feelings toward Rachael Ray, Bourdain appeared less on the attack and more ready to defend himself and his beloved restaurant world.

Perhaps he is all about love after all. At the least, he is, and will always be, all about the food.