Saturday, Sept. 28

Column: Sighting Sasquatch

Spring break might be right around the corner, and true, I don’t have plans for it yet, but I already have my thoughts set on a greater break.

That’s right, I am thinking about summer.

It may only be the first week of February, but to me, it is the exciting time of year in which summer music festivals reveal their lineups.

I don’t believe in many mythological creatures, but I do believe in Sasquatch — the summer music festival in Gorge, Wash. It’s consistently the summer music festival with the greatest lineups year after year. And it recently announced its lineup for 2012.  
What makes Sasquatch so much better than the rest? Sasquatch is always able to balance indie rock with electronic with soul with comedy. Headlining this year’s tour are Jack White, Beck and Bon Iver. Other acts include Childish Gambino (Community’s Troy Barnes raps!), Beirut, Feist, M Ward, The War on Drugs, Girl Talk, tUnE-yArDs, SBTRKT, Charles Bradley and His Extraordinaires, Tenacious D, Portlandia, the magnificent St. Vincent and more.

This lineup gives me butterflies, but the location is also what makes Sasquatch a great festival. If you decide to google Gorge, Wash., (make sure to leave out an ‘e’ and put the comma in — otherwise, you will only find a man with great hair), you will not be disappointed. The festival is placed in the middle of a beautiful scenic valley.

Surrounded by trees and a lake, the music is played at several amphitheaters that carry the music without the hustle and bustle of street traffic heard at other festivals.

Now you might be asking, Bari, who are you most excited for at Sasquatch?

What a fine question that is, and the answer is quite simple: St. Vincent.

When it comes to the one-woman band St. Vincent, I tend to write bold statements, but only because I truly believe I can stand behind them. Listening to any of her three albums, whether “Marry Me,” “Actor” or her critically-acclaimed 2011 album “Strange Mercy,” is the only evidence I need.

She is one of the greatest lyricists of our time.

Her brilliant couplets, witty phrases and insightful lines play again and again in your head until you think of nothing else.

She also is the best current female guitarist, and she shreds while she sings in her wide range.

Her music is beautiful and at times scary. But most of all, it’s wonderfully composed.
She is a mastermind of our time, so it only makes sense for her to be performing at
Sasquatch this year.

­— bafinkel@indiana.edu