Saturday, Sept. 28

John Mayer launches US tour at IU Auditorium

After a two-year hiatus, John Mayer is launching a new U.S. tour on April 9 at the IU Auditorium that will lead into his new album, “Born and Raised.”

“John Mayer is such an important artist,” said Maria Talbert, events manager at the Auditorium. “He has an amazing following of people that have been listening to him for years, and he resonates with students, as well as with the Bloomington community.”

Union Board Concerts Director Samuel Shechtman said the board chose Mayer because of his successful career, which includes seven Grammy Awards.

The IU stop on the tour is sponsored by Union Board Concerts and others.

Each stop on the tour benefits veterans in two ways.

A block of seats will be available for sale at a premium price through Tickets-for-Charity, with proceeds going to the Northern California Institute of Research and Education. NCIRE provides help to veterans with reintegrating into civilian life. Additionally, four front row tickets that include a chance to meet Mayer will be auctioned, with proceeds also benefiting NCIRE.

Tickets go on sale at 10 a.m. March 2. Starting at 9 a.m., lottery tickets will be distributed to students outside the Auditorium.

Starting at 9:45 a.m., a number will be drawn, and the holder of the winning ticket will determine where the line starts.

Tickets range in cost from $45 to $85 for IU-Bloomington students and $50 to $90 for the general public. Student tickets are limited and can only be purchased at the IU Auditorium Box Office.

An overwhelmingly positive response to the announcement was made on Facebook and Twitter. However, some students have critiqued Union Board’s choice of venues for the upcoming acts. Sublime with Rome will play at the 16,000-seat Assembly Hall, while Mayer will perform at the 3,000-seat Auditorium.

“I really don’t want to fight for tickets on Friday,” sophomore Michael Brown said. “I think they should have switched the venues for John Mayer and Sublime. There’s a much bigger demand for Mayer.”

Talbert said that, since seating is so limited at the auditorium, anyone interested in tickets should be ready to purchase them soon after they go on sale Friday.

The concert is expected to be a sell-out performance, Talbert said.

“Union Board is excited about bringing such a talented artist to Bloomington, as we have such a rich tradition of gifted artists in this community,” Shechtman said.

Student Reactions

“I’m not really a fan. I’m kind of indifferent. I’m looking forward to the Sublime concert.”
-Joey Dobson, freshman

“I heard about it on Twitter. He’s cool and everything, but I wouldn’t pay to see him.”
-Lakendra Tolbert, senior

“I think that it’s really cool. I do enjoy his music, but I don’t follow him avidly.”
Barbara Abbott, graduate student

“I’d probably say he’s the best one announced yet.”
Katie Rich, freshman