Saturday, Sept. 28

Organ concert showcases Bach works at chapel

Beck Chapel

Janette Fishell, an IU organ professor, has begun a 21-concert series titled “The Seasons of Sebastian.” Fishell said the concert was inspired by Bach’s interest in numerology: Seven is the number of days in the Bible’s creationsim story, and three is the number of the Holy Spirit. Seven multiplied by three is 21, and this number of concerts reflects the “secular” and “spiritual” side of Bach’s works, Fishell said.

Fishell has recently finished a concert tour that included stops in Asia and Australia. The “Bach at Beck” performance will be performed in a variety of Bloomington and campus locations. This is the first time the complete organ works of Bach will be performed in the Bloomington community. Next Thursday will mark her first “Bach at Beck: Thursday Lunchtime Recitals at Beck Chapel” concert at Beck Chapel, and the recital will be free to the public. It starts at 12:15 p.m. and should last about 30 minutes — just in time for students and faculty to enjoy Bach’s music on their lunch break.

Beck Chapel was completed in 1956 and dedicated to Frank and Daisy Beck in 1957. The Becks were the founders of IU’s religious studies program, and the chapel is representative of their nearly 20-year campaign to build a place of worship on campus free for those of all faiths. Today, it is a popular site for weddings, and other
special occasions.

— ntepper@indiana.edu