Saturday, Sept. 28

Play tells story of Al-Anon, AA

Bill Bob

This weekend is the last chance to catch the Cardinal Stage Company’s performance of Samuel Chem and Janet Surrey’s “Bill W. and Dr. Bob.” The production tells the founding story of Alcoholics Anonymous and Al-Anon.

In 1929, stockbroker William Wilson, played by Chris Vettel of New York, crashed with the stock market and became a hopeless drunk. Dr. Bob Smith, played by Paul Hansen of Indianapolis, also had a drinking problem and was known for entering the operating room with a hangover. But, things turned around for the two men when they met. By keeping each other sober, the two men formed AA together.

“I’ve known about Bill Wilson for years, but before I read this play, I knew little about the personal connection between him and Dr. Bob Smith,” Artistic Director Randy White said. “In reclaiming their own lives, these two remarkable men literally saved the lives of millions of Americans.”

Angela Card, a Bloomington resident, said she can speak personally about how the two men can change lives.

“I took someone very close to me to see this play last weekend,” Card said. “He’s had a rough time lately and has been resorting to alcohol to hide his problems, but the play really made him see how destructive his behaviors can become.”

Card said because of the play, her friend has promised to start attending Alcoholics Anonymous meetings.

Cardinal Stage Company created a “Save a Seat” program to expose the play to the rest of the recovery community.

On Feb. 4, attendees were able to purchase a ticket for $50 — the cost included admission to the show and a reception, but it also underwrote the cost for someone in recovery to attend the show at a later date.

White estimated that 125 seats were purchased for people in the recovery community and said Cardinal reached out to an additional 30 to 40 donors to provide more tickets.
“We are so grateful for the support of so many donors who are helping us bring this remarkable show to so many people in need,” White said.

Cardinal then collaborated with Centerstone, Amethyst House and the Monroe Country drug court to distribute the sponsored tickets.

“It was a very successful program,” White said. “The nights we’ve had the folks from the recovery community in have been the most electric performances. They’re the ones that have laughed the most. Even though everything’s falling apart in the characters’ lives, they think it’s hilarious because they’ve been there. They laugh in
recognition.”

Cardinal Stage Company’s Facebook wall confirmed the success of the “Save a
Seat” program.

“I am part of the recovering community, and I also work with recovering people,” Brier Frasier wrote on Cardinal’s wall. “Many of the people there were attending a play for the first time and were deeply moved by the production.”

White said the performance also appeals to people outside the recovery community, citing a compelling plot and a great acting cast.

“Even though the play is about, ‘Oh my god, you’re drunk, and our lives are falling apart,’ it’s really funny throughout the whole play,” he said.

Ticket Information

WHEN 7:30 p.m. tonight, 3 and 8 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday
WHERE Ivy Tech John Waldron Performing Arts Theater
MORE INFO Tickets cost $10 for students. Adult tickets cost $21.50 for matinee shows and $26.50 for evening shows. Tickets can be purchased online at cardinalstage.org or from the Buskirk-Chumley Theater Box Office.