Saturday, Sept. 28

Seductions, lies theme of new theatre show

Les Liaisons

Sex and seduction produce both vengeance and humiliation in the “Les Liasions Dangereuses” theater production, which opens at 7:30 p.m. Friday at the Wells-Metz Theatre.

Intrigue and drama will usher in the theater department’s first show of the spring-semester season. The story is about the Vicomte de Valmont, who strives to seduce an unavailable woman, and the Marquise de Merteuil, who intends revenge against a former partner.

Both individuals manipulate and degrade others around them through lies and corruption.

The play, based on a novel by Choderlos de Laclos, is the IU directorial debut of Nancy Lipschultz, an associate professor in the Department of Theatre and Drama.

The production will feature Molly Casey, a third-year MFA acting student, as the Marquise de Merteuil, and Adam St. John, a first-year master’s degree acting student, as the Vicomte de Valmont.

Thomas Beaver, a junior in the Theater Department, said everyone in the Bloomington area should attempt to see the production.

“Just because the shows are performed primarily by students, the work that is done by the actors, stage crew and designers is of a professional level and something that shouldn’t be missed,” Beaver said.

Matt Herndon, an IU theatre alumnus, said he anticipates a spectacular show and plans to see it twice.

“I’m actually heading up to Chicago this weekend for unified auditions for MFA Acting programs,” Herndon said. “I can’t think of a better way to fire me up for that process than by going to see this excellent show before I take off. I’ve had high hopes for this show since December, and I know those hopes will be met and exceeded.”

Matt Keeley, a sophomore in the Theater Department, said he plans to attend the show because of January’s Princeton Review ranking of IU as the ninth-best collegiate theater program in the country.

“The departmental plays are produced with the talent and dedication of a professional production,” Keeley said.