Saturday, Sept. 28

Sublime Design goes green with 'Upcycle' exhibit

Sublime Art Studio

Ten years ago, Carol Hedin was working out of her home, taking custom orders for her artwork, including tables and stained glass.

But now, with the help of her parents, Hedin is the proud owner of Sublime Design Gallery and Gifts.

“I thought this was a great idea at first and really wanted to do it,” Hedin said. “But I did not think I could fill a whole store with only my artwork and have it still be successful.” 

Sublime Design is a gallery of art and gifts located on West Kirkwood Avenue and it  showcases the work of more than 30 local artists.

“There are a lot of artists in Bloomington,” Hedin said. “I get artists coming in the shop every couple days, wanting to show their work in the gallery. I really try to have a nice variety of work displayed.”

Recently, Sublime Design opened a new recyclable art exhibit titled “Upcycle” that will be on display through March 31.

“The idea of recycled art came from all the recent artwork I and other artists in the gallery were making from recycled, reclaimed things like furniture, fabric, jewelry parts, reclaimed metal, etcetera,” Hedin said.

Among their creations is a reclaimed table base that is covered in Hedin’s art.

“I create my table surfaces with cut paper,” Hedin said. “I revisit the tree of life image a lot in my table designs. Sometimes I even put real moths or butterflies in a tabletop. All come naturally dead to me. I do not kill, of course.”

The tables are a big part of the recycled art exhibit, but the display includes other mediums, as well.

Local artists Barb Boncheck and Calista Yates contribute to the exhibit with their recyclable art.

“Barb creates ‘Dizzy Art,’ which is black-and-white free-hand geo-motion designs,” Hedin said. “And Calista creates her designs with water-soluble ink on rice paper. Her designs are infused with abstract bold colors, really beautiful.”

Hedin said in her opinion, the real “show stopper” is the piece above the fireplace — a metal wall sculpture of flowers on a vine made by local artist James Connor.

The flowers are made from recycled metal, including a Chevrolet truck tailgate, washing machine and Pontiac hood.

“I actually got the idea for this piece by looking at the different colors of paint on different metal objects that were junk,” Connor said.

Connor said he believes the gallery aligns with the recent popularity of sustainability and going green.

“I really think recyclable art is a great way to raise awareness about reusing materials and not just throwing them in a landfill,” Connor said. “It’s made me realize that we should try to recycle things as best as we can. And my way of doing that is by incorporating these materials into my artwork.”

Hedin said Connor is a truly exceptional artist, and she feels privileged to have him showcasing his work in her gallery.

“James is not a regular gallery artist,” Hedin said. “He has brought a couple really special pieces for shows in the past but does not permanently keep his art in the gallery. That is why it is really great to have his flower piece here now.”

While Connor’s work tends to be too large to be a permanent installment, all other artists’ works are always a part of the gallery.

“I believe my gallery sets itself apart from other galleries by displaying very unique or never-before-seen artwork,” Hedin said.