Monday, Oct. 7

Beta Theta Pi takes pole in men's 2012 Little 500 qualifications

After months of preparation for about a three-minute race, the 2012 Little 500 season officially kicked off Saturday at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

With 43 teams competing for only 33 spots, the men’s 2012 Little 500 qualifications saw the formation of what will be the deepest Little 500 field since the year 2000, as the Cutters try for their sixth-consecutive title.

At the top of this year’s field though will be Beta Theta Pi, after finishing with the fastest qualifying time out of the 43 teams, clocking in at 2:21.05. Rounding out the field will be Pi Kappa Psi, who finished 33rd in a time of only 2:32.84.

"As far as the team goes, we are obviously very excited to have produced the top time,” Beta Theta Pi rider Tom Laser said. “Although winning the pole was not particularly high on our agenda for the spring, a little confidence boost going into the racing season is always a good thing.”

As the sixth men’s team onto the track  Saturday, Beta Theta Pi sprinted to the top finish, led by smooth exchanges. The team’s first place time was nearly five seconds faster than what Sigma Nu posted this past year, when that team took the pole in a time of 2:25.91. After 37 other teams took to the track to try to unseat Beta at the top, none were successful in doing so.

“We stepped onto the track intent on getting it done in one clean run, so as not to have to come back out with even more pressure resting on our shoulders,” Laser said. “On the track, we placed a strong emphasis on being cautious with the exchanges and making sure to watch for loose cinders going into turn three. With a lot of practice runs and experience behind us, we finished up a clean run in a good time of 2:21.05.”

Coming in second and competing in the first row of the Little 500 was CSF Cycling, only in their second year of existence. After this past year’s 18th place qualifications finish and 23rd place finish in the actual race, CSF showed marked improvement in Saturday’s 2:22.38 track time.

“As a second year team I have been blessed to be around a group of guys who put the team first and not their individual ambitions,” CSF captain Tyler Hird said. “I don’t think we expected to be on the front row, but had a goal of qualifying in the top 10 and have been blessed to see our focus and hard work translate into results.”

Rounding out the first row will be the Black Key Bulls, who finished qualifying in a time of 2:23.21, followed by Phi Delta Theta (2:23.92), Fiji (2:24.85) and Sigma Nu (2:24.99) in Row 2.

After losing star rider and future national champion Eric Young to graduation, the five-time defending champion Cutters found themselves in a bit of a hole after Saturday’s results transpired. The Cutters finished in eighth place with a time of 2:26.07, meaning they will be in the third row come race day.

"I think the team performed really well today," Cutters rider Kevin Depasse said. "Our exchanges were safe and fast, and we'll be racing in the 2012 Little 500 - something some teams take for granted. Racing in this crazy, beautiful race is an honor and a privilege. It's a true spring classic."

The 2012 Little 500 qualifications also signified the return of multiple programs back into the spotlight. Amongst those returning to the field include Lambda Chi Alpha (last appearance 2010), Pi Kappa Phi (2009), Zeta Beta Tau (2010), Phi Kappa Tau (2008) and Forest (2006).

In addition, Alpha Epsilon Pi will return to its first Little 500 since 2007, after being sidelined for three seasons during a fraternity suspension. AEPi finished 19th in Saturday’s qualifying, with a time of 2:29.54.

Rounding out the field will be Amalgan in 31st place (2:32.34), Kappa Sigma in 32nd (2:32.61) and Phi Kappa Psi in 33rd. Those who just missed qualifying included Kappa Delta Rho (2:33.42) and Beta Sigma Psi (2:34.12).

Next up for the riders will be the Individual Time Trials, which will be on Wednesday, March 28, starting at 4 p.m. That, and multiple other events will all lead to the big race,  Saturday, April 21st , to determine the winner of the 62nd Little 500.

“For us, we want to be competitive and successful this year and in the future,” Hird said. “For us to maintain success though, we need to stay motivated and keep working hard and step up our level of preparation and determination to an entirely different level.”