Saturday, Sept. 28

Column: Navigating SXSW

During the much-anticipated IU spring break, some students flee to the beaches of Florida, some embark on road trips around the country and others simply go home for a comforting, home-cooked meal.

Yet another spring break destination has risen in popularity throughout the years: South by Southwest.

SXSW is one of the largest music festival showcases of the year. From March 13 to 18, thousands of people will gather to hear music from almost every genre you could imagine in Austin, Texas.

This year’s keynote music speaker is Bruce Springsteen, the subject of last week’s Sic of Elephants article.

Other official performers include Anamanaguchi, Blitzen Trapper, Charles Bradley, Natives, Andrew Bird, Brother Ali, The Shins, M. Ward, Lionel Richie and Grimes, among hundreds of other bands.

WIUX Culture Shock’s 2011 headliners Beach Fossils and the War on Drugs will also perform. Many companies, including music publications Pitchfork and SPIN, also bring their own showcases to SXSW. Fiona Apple will headline Pitchfork’s showcase. SPIN’s showcase includes Santigold, Best Coast and Big K.R.I.T.

Though I will not be wandering the streets of Austin this year, I have been compiling a hefty list of tips to make the best SXSW experience possible for the day that I do. For all of you readers packing up for this year’s festival, here are some pointers brought to you by past festival-goers.

Be timely.
Most shows are free, but attendees with wristbands get in first. To ensure that you get into the shows you want, be there early to stand in line.

Alternative venues are your friend.

Street shows and day shows are common occurrences at SXSW. Keep your eye out in Austin for your favorite bands performing in not-so-normal venues. If you miss seeing a band in the festival, there is a good chance it will play elsewhere throughout the week.

If you have a smartphone, use it. If you don’t, befriend someone who has one.

SXSW is a social-media-oriented event. Secret concerts pop up all through Austin during this week and are promoted through Twitter. Staying connected to record labels, music publications, musicians and SXSW on Twitter is vital to making the most of the festival.

Food carts: Don’t go hungry; don’t spend too much money.
Food carts in Bloomington have become more popular, but they have nothing on Austin. Food carts are a cheap way to eat fantastic food for the week. The city is littered with them, as well as wonderful Southern comfort-food restaurants.

Bring a notepad and pencil.
You might be going to see some favorite bands, but it is likely you will discover many new bands, as well. Bring a notepad and pencil to write down new bands and to help you schedule your week.

Two wheels are better than four, but shoes are good, too.
Biking in Austin is great because of Austin’s inherent flatness. Driving might get a bit chaotic, but biking and walking around Austin will provide a better way of seeing the city without the issue of parking.

I hope you all enjoy your well-deserved spring breaks.

­— bafinkel@indiana.edu