Monday, Oct. 7

IU brings record-breaking performance to Big Ten/SEC Challeng

Different teams, regardless of sport or league, do not always respond well to change or transition. The IU track and field squads embraced it during the weekend.

The Hoosiers took care of business at the Big Ten/SEC Challenge in Starkville, Miss., setting numerous facility records at the Carl Maddox Track on the campus of Mississippi State University.

The Big Ten men defeated the SEC men 400.5 to 314.5, while the SEC women took down the Big Ten women with a score of 390 to 323.

IU Coach Ron Helmer said he was pleased with how his athletes competed in their first outdoor meet of the season.

“It wasn’t difficult because we’ve been enjoying the warm weather at home,” Helmer said. “The weather was great here in Mississippi, so there wasn’t a big difference. It was a great way to get started.”

Helmer’s athletes had a great start to the outdoor season, especially in the men’s and women’s steeplechase.

The Lady Hoosiers took first and second place in the event while the men swept first, second and third.

Senior Breanne Ehrman wowed the crowd in Starkville by winning the steeplechase in a time of 10:21.38, which set a facility and meet record. The time was also a mere two seconds shy of Ehrman’s career best.

Ehrman’s running mate in the event, redshirt freshman Samantha Ginther, placed second in a time of 10:30.69. The time ranks sixth in school history.

Both Ehrman and Ginther’s times propelled them to second and third, respectively, on the Division I list for the current season.

The Hoosier men were also taking part in the takedown of facility and meet records.

Leading the way was senior De’Sean Turner, who claimed victory in the men’s steeplechase with a time of 8:52.58. The time set the meet and facility records in the event.

Seniors Adrien Dannemiller and Andy Weatherford also set times faster than the old facility record, finishing second and third behind Turner in times of 8:52.61 and 9:03.17, respectively.

Turner, Dannemiller and Weatherford currently rank first, second and third, respectively, on the Division I list in the steeplechase this season.

Senior Danny Stockberger joined the record-breaking party, as well, winning the 800-meter race in a time of 1:51.00, which shattered the meet and facility records in the event.

Helmer said he was pleased with Stockberger’s outing.

“It was a great season-opening time,” Helmer said. “He had a great indoor season. He’s really just running confidently and loose.”

Stockberger was joined by junior Zach Mayhew in the distance events, as Mayhew broke the meet and facility records in the 1,500 meters by clocking a time of 3:50.02. Mayhew broke the facility record by an astounding 5.88 seconds.

In the field events, junior Emma Kimoto was victorious in the pole vault, launching to a height of 1.76 meters.

Helmer said the weekend’s meet was a confidence booster going into the Texas Relays in Austin, Texas, next weekend.

“Things went really well,” Helmer said. “In some aspects, it was a friendly kick in the butt and a reminder that we need to get going.”