Saturday, Sept. 28

Students practice Spanish, Portuguese language through song

Portugal

Live music and a supportive audience filled the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center’s Grand Hall on Wednesday. More than 100 people attended the second annual Spanish and Portuguese Song Festival.

Despite some technical difficulties, eight students competed for a $100 first place prize and $75 second place prize, with four students singing solo and four performing in duets.

Benjamin Shelby sang “Oracao” by A Banda Mais Bonita da Cidade while playing ukulele. Matthew Barkley and TC Fisher-Heath both played guitars to “Asi es la vida” by Elefante.

Junior Daniel Avon won first place for his performance of “Sozinho” by Caetano Veloso. Shelby won second place, and Emily Paulsen took third with her version of Shakira’s “Sale el sol.”

A triple major in Spanish, Portuguese and German, Avon competed in this past year’s song festival and said he plans to compete again next year.

He said he didn’t know about this year’s festival until a week before auditions.
“I’m happy,” Avon said about his win. “I chose a song I liked.”

The event opened with a performance by special guest band Jiridon from the Department of Folklore and Ethnomusicology.

Several judges played guest performances, as well, including a duet from Jacobs School of Music graduate students Daniel Duarte on guitar and Sergio Miranda on vocals.

Before singing the Portuguese song “Danca da Solidao,” originally by Paulinho da Viola, Miranda encouraged audience members to add their own percussion.

Their performance was greeted with a warm round of applause. Miranda returned to his seat on the music jury, and Duarte to his on the Portuguese jury.

The size of the audience dwindled when the judges left to deliberate. Jiridon returned to the stage and played another three songs until the winners were announced.

All introductions and announcements during the festival were made in Spanish, but audience members did not seem to mind, swaying to the music.

Festival organizer Israel Fernando Herrera said the event turnout was similar to this past year and said he thought this year’s festival was a success.

“People like these kinds of festivals,” Herrera said. “Everyone likes to hear music.”