Sunday, Oct. 6

Trio of Hoosiers collects Big Ten awards

The awards keep rolling in for IU track and field athletes. Junior Emma Kimoto and seniors De’Sean Turner and Breanne Ehrman have been named Big Ten Athletes of the Week, per an announcement from the Big Ten Conference.

Ehrman and Turner were awarded for their sizzling performances in the steeplechase, and Kimoto was rewarded for claiming a first-place finish in the high jump competition during the Big Ten/SEC Challenge last weekend.

Turner broke the men’s meet and facility record in the steeplechase, winning in a time of 8:52.58. Ehrman did just the same, breaking the women’s meet and facility record in a winning time of 10:21.38.

Ehrman’s time was two seconds shy of her career best and places her second on the Division I list this season.

The steeplechase is one of the Hoosiers’ most successful events, as the men took first and second place and the women sweeping first, second and third.

IU Coach Ron Helmer said he was pleased with the performances of his athletes during the weekend, according a press release from the school.

Kimoto stole the show during the field events, capturing a victory in the high jump, clearing 1.76 meters. The mark was two centimeters of Kimoto’s career best jump.  

“We had a good start to the season in Mississippi,” Helmer said in a press release. “Our student athletes went into the meet and took care of business. It was good to see the team transition into the outdoor season well, and we need to continue to grow and get better to reach our goals as a team.”