Sunday, Oct. 6

Former track star Willie May passes on

The IU track and field program has announced that one of its former greats, Willie May, has passed away peacefully at the age of 75.

Prior to May’s time as a Hoosier, he attended Blue Island High School in Illinois, where he starred in the low and high hurdles. May won Illinois state championships in both events as a prep phenom.

Those accomplishments earned May a place on the IU track and field squad. It was as a member of the squad that May won seven Big Ten Conference championships between 1957 and 1959.

May also starred as a United States Olympian, earning a silver medal at the 1960 Olympic Games in Rome. He also added to his sterling awards collection by bringing home another silver medal at the 1963 Pan American Games.

Following his professional career, May went on to a career in teaching and coaching at Evanston Township High School, beginning in 1975 and ending in 1999. During those 25 seasons as a head coach, May led the program to one IHSA state championship.

His athletes also brought in five individual state championships.

Following his retirement from teaching and coaching, May was inducted into the IU Athletic Hall of Fame in 2000, the Illinois Track & Cross Country Coaches Association Hall of Fame in 2007 and the Chicagoland Sports Hall of Fame in 2010.

Current IU Coach Ron Helmer never met May but spoke highly of the former star, according to a press release.

“While I did not know Willie May personally, I certainly know of his legendary contributions to the Indiana track and field program and the Indiana University community as a whole,” Helmer said.