Sunday, Oct. 6

IU, Notre Dame win for Team Indiana

While it was not a basketball game, the Border Battle on the Louisville campus had an audience abuzz with excitement.

Team Indiana (Notre Dame and IU) claimed victory against Team Kentucky (Louisville and Kentucky) in the men’s and women’s competitions. Team Indiana men won by a combined score of 113-81, while the women edged out Team Kentucky 101.5-100.

The Hoosiers were in control from the beginning, shining in the 1,500 meters. Junior Kelsey Duerksen won the women’s 1,500-meter in a time of 4:19.81, placing her fourth in school history in the event. On the men’s side, the Hoosiers finished 1-2-3, with senior De’Sean Turner (3:46.22), senior Andy Weatherford (3:46.64) and junior Zach Mayhew (3:47.98).

The distance squad continued to dazzle with junior Andrew Bayer and senior Danny Stockberger finishing first and second in the 800 meter in times of 1:49.17 and 1:49.31, respectively. Senior Jordan Gray placed second in the women’s 800-meter in a time of 2:07.88.

In the sprints, senior Kind Butler continued his winning ways, cruising to a victory in the 400 meter in a time of 46.31. Butler was also a member of the winning 4x100 squad, which, aside from Butler, consisted of sophomore Tyler Sult, junior Chris Vaughn and freshman Nick Stoner.

Sult showed the versatility of the Hoosier sprinters by winning the 200 meter in a time of 21.03, as well as serving as the anchor of the 4x400 squad, which placed second in a season-best time of 3:11.41.

The Hoosiers will be back in action next weekend at the Polytan Invitational at Billy Hayes Track at home.