Sunday, Oct. 6

New generation of Cutters ready to continue winning

Cutters

Freshman rider Chris Pilipiszyn recalled his first time training alongside the Cutters.

He took what bike he could manage to find at the last minute, having been notified only a day earlier that he would be riding with the team, slapped on his gym shoes and rode off.

“It was one of those things where I didn’t know if I was going to be able to make it home,” Pilipiszyn said about his first workout.

As one of two freshmen riders on the team, Pilipiszyn said he looks up to many of the veteran riders.

As he practices with the team, he observes, makes mental notes and takes into account the things he needs to be doing to find success as a Cutter.

“I could see them after a workout and see that they’re hurting,” he said. “I look up to a lot of the guys, so when I see them hurting, I know I should be hurting, too, so I push myself then.”

Pilipiszyn is part of the new generation of Cutters. The efforts of the new riders do not go unaccounted for.

Cutters Coach Jim Kirkham said the freshmen are doing well and holding their own. Kirkham said that this year, everything is different.

One might argue these differences reside in the team’s new riders, including the two freshmen additions, a team mascot, a more diverse training regimen and an eighth-place finish in the Little 500 Qualifications.

Three days before the riders took to the track for qualifications, the reigning champions participated in one final team practice at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

Kirkham’s son, Teddy — also the team’s mascot, rested snugly in his father’s arms as Kirkham walked back and forth behind the gates that hug the track at the stadium.

Eventually growing restless, Teddy made his way free of his father’s embrace and moved to the bleachers.

Kirkham followed closely behind his son as he walked the length of the bleachers toward the enclosure. Chasing was something Kirkham did on a daily basis.

One month from that final day of training at the stadium, it wouldn’t be his child he’d be chasing on the bleachers — it’d be a victory on the racetrack.

“I’d prefer if they didn’t get all the attention,” Kirkham said of his riders. “I don’t want (the team) to think they’re better than they really are.”

The Cutters are seeking their sixth consecutive victory in this year’s Little 500.

The riders became the first team to win five consecutive titles with a victory in the 2011 race. 

Kirkham said he knew going into this year that things would not be laid out for his team, ready to be snatched.

The Cutters were going to have to work perhaps even harder than in years past.  Regardless of the loss of recent graduates, such as Eric Young and Zach Lusk, Kirkham said the leadership spectrum on the team fluctuates and often shifts among teammates.

Senior and veteran Cutter Michael Schroeder said the team takes it upon itself to ensure the responsibilities are distributed.

“We all share the responsibility,” he said.  “We have a really cool chemistry. Every guy is important.”

From the newest members of the team to the veteran competitors, Schroeder said each individual has worth and something to contribute to the success of the historically prestigious race team. 

“Aside from a bike team, we’re a really close group of friends,” Pilipiszyn said.  “On and off the track, we spend a lot of time together. They have become my closest friends here.” 

Every year, the team experiences an array of various strengths and weaknesses. 

Kirkham said many more challenges have been presented throughout the course of the practice season. 

Last year was the final year of eligibility for former Cutters standout Young. Before and after the team’s victory, Young’s eligibility became a popular topic among some who alleged the rider had professional contracts on the side.

Eventually, it was determined Young could race in the Little 500 event as long as he did not obtain a pro license until after the race. Young helped the team ride to its fifth consecutive victory.

This year, controversy aside, the team is focused and training daily to ensure its goals and personal expectations are met to show the prospectors of the Little 500 event and the public that the Cutters are no strangers to victory. 

For the 28 years during which the team has been in existence, the Cutters have captured 12 victories.

“I know I’m definitely not riding this year, but I still have to keep the intensity up going into Team Pursuit,” Pilipiszyn said. “This is going to be my first time experiencing Little 500, so I don’t know what to expect.

“I feel the energy on the track, (and) I feel it off the track when I see everyone wearing Little 500 shirts to their specific team. I see that intensity everywhere on campus.”

Pilipiszyn said the word “Cutters”  evokes real significance, and he is proud to associate the name of the 12-time champions with his own team.

“It’s something I take pride in,” Pilipiszyn said. “I mean, that’s all that really matters.

“As long as I’m enjoying and I’m proud of what I’m doing, that’s all I really care about.”