Sunday, Oct. 6

Women's tennis storms past Wisconsin in Big Ten Tournament

The No. 7-seed Hoosiers avenged arguably their worst loss of the season by beating No. 10-seed Wisconsin in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament 4-0.

The doubles lineups were altered in the cream and crimson’s last match against Northwestern, and IU Coach Lin Loring kept the new doubles lineups intact against the Badgers.

“We haven’t been winning the doubles point in big matches, with the exception of Ohio State,” Loring said. “We just thought, what the heck, better late than never, we’ll try some new combinations, and they played good today.”

In the three slot, senior Evgeniya Vertesheva and freshman Shannon Murdy made quick work of their foes, setting the tone for the match with an 8-1 win.

The first match of singles was a rematch with Hureau against Wisconsin’s Alaina Trgovich. In the April 15 match, Hureau lost in three sets. She avenged her loss by dominating 6-0, 6-0.

Wrapping up the match for Indiana was Klyczek, who also won in straight sets
6-1, 7-5.

The win for Indiana snaps their five-match losing streak and gives them a precious Big Ten tournament win.

Loring said he thinks not having to play in Madison was an advantage for his Hoosiers.

“Home court is always a big advantage in tennis because each tennis court plays differently,” Loring said. “Wisconsin was really the only bad match we played this year, so I think the girls felt like they had something to prove, and they did it
today.”

Indiana advances to the second round of the Big Ten Tournament to play No. 2-seeded Michigan, who had a bye in the first round. Play begins Friday at 2 p.m.

Michigan, ranked No. 15 in the nation, narrowly escaped Bloomington with a victory as the Wolverines won 4-3 on April 1.