Sunday, Oct. 6

Track & Field team ranked 3rd nationally, highest in program's history

On the heels of a third-place finish at the Big Ten Outdoor Track & Field Championships, the IU men’s squad earned some lofty recognition from outside the conference.

The Hoosier men are ranked third in the nation by the United States Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association, which released its rankings Tuesday. The ranking is the highest in school history.

“We were disappointed with a third-place finish at the Big Ten meet,” Head Coach Ron Helmer said in a press release. “But this bump in the national rankings is evidence of the outstanding performances our student-athletes put on the board at the meet. We hope that we are able to continue that success and parlay it into a high placing at the NCAA Championships a month from now.”

Preliminary action for the NCAA Championships begin May 24 in Jacksonville, Fla., where the Hoosiers will compete in the East Preliminary round. IU will be gunning for its first top-10 finish in the national outdoor meet in 22 years, and first top-5 finish in the meet since 1941.

Drouin jumps high

Track and field athlete and junior Derek Drouin was named Athlete of the Big Ten Championships on Tuesday. Drouin tied the all-time Big Ten record and won his fifth Big Ten title in the high jump during the Big Ten Outdoor Track & Field Championships, May 11-13.

Drouin cleared 2.31 meters to win the high jump, which also matched the Olympic A standard. If Drouin finishes in the top three June 27-30 at the Canadian Olympic Trials, he will advance to the London Olympics in August.

— Joe Popely