Friday, Sept. 27

Local band Main Squeeze debuts album

Main Squeeze

Two days before its long-awaited CD release show, Bloomington band The Main Squeeze gathered in a band member’s apartment for a humble dinner of chocolate milk and Kraft Macaroni & Cheese.

On the mantle sat a yellow novelty check for 250,000 Hong Kong dollars, the prize for winning first place in the Venetian Macao’s International Jazz and Blues Fest Battle of the Bands in China.

From May 25 to 27, The Main Squeeze competed with 11 bands and returned to the United States with a newfound following.

“That’s $5 American,” drummer Reuben Gingrich said jokingly about the prize.
“Thirty-two thousand-ish,” keyboardist Ben“Smiley” Silverstein clarified, staring gleefully at the colorful banknote.

“The people just went nuts,” guitarist Max Newman said. “It had been like 50 to 100 people watching the stage all day. For our set, we just began amassing people, and people and more people. By the end of our set, there must have been...”

“Twenty percent of the Chinese population,” Silverstein said with a chuckle.

“Something special happened, and we ended up playing one of the best 30-minute sets we’ve ever played,” Newman recalled. “It was a really positive response. A really beautiful thing.”

“They love the funk,” Gingrich added.

After wowing fans on the other side of the world, The Main Squeeze returned June 2 to the Bluebird Nightclub to show off the self-titled album it spent months completing.

“We’ve been talking about putting this album out forever,” Silverstein reflected. “I’ve listened to shows we played six months ago, saying, ‘Don’t worry, the album’s coming out soon!’ Now, finally, six months later, it’s finally here.”

At Saturday’s show, Bloomington resident Stephen Englert said he downloaded the CD the morning it was released and has already listened to it twice.

Englert estimates that he has seen The Main Squeeze perform about 15 to 20 times.
“I’ve been anticipating (the new album) for a long time,” he said.

Silverstein, Newman and Gingrich released their trademark funk with vocalist Corey Frye and bassist Willie Robinson to thrill the eager Bluebird crowd with cuts from the new album.

The second song during their set, “Mama Told Me” opened with distorted guitar, igniting the dance floor and setting the tone for a serious evening of complex funk demonstration.

“People always get really, really into it,” Bluebird bartender Austin Mason said. “Before I had heard them, I had not heard anyone do a blend of funk, hip-hop and real good soul.”

The Main Squeeze took full advantage of its new album, playing an upbeat and wholesome new set list. “Dr. Funk” features a heavy keyboard line and sensual lyrics.

“I’m the doctor/’Cause I got whatchu need,” Frye beckoned to the audience.

Frye welcomed singer Annamarie Hosei on stage midway through the band’s set to perform duet “Make a Move,” a back-and-forth song layered with sensuality and flirtatious lyrical clues.

The band then presented its take of genre staple “We Want the Funk” by George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic to roaring response. The band also featured “Love Rollercoaster,” as made famous by American funk and R&B band The Ohio Players.

“I’m in love with the keyboardist,” senior Jane Goebel said after seeing the band for the first time. “He’s ripping pretty nice, getting into things. He just seems like a cool guy, charisma coming from him.”

With little time to waste, the band concentrated on playing its hour-long set, then bowed from the stage to meet fans and sell the new album.

“They get the biggest draw of any other local band,” Mason said. “They can usually fill the place for no reason.”

After such a momentous week for The Main Squeeze, the five friends cannot afford to give into the temptation of a break.

This Saturday, they will take the stage at Bonnaroo in Manchester, Tenn.

“We can’t wait to share with everyone and then party,” Silverstein grinned. “And celebrate that. And celebrate China. And celebrate the future.”