Sunday, Oct. 6

Associate AD recognized for achievements in compliance

The National Association for Athletics Compliance recognized Indiana Senior Associate Athletic Director Julie Cromer as recipient of the Frank Kara Leadership award, the IU athletic department announced Friday.

The award is the highest honor the association awards to compliance professionals.

“Julie Cromer is a tremendous leader who is widely acknowledged to be one of the foremost experts on compliance issues in the country,” IU Vice President and Director of Athletics Fred Glass said.  “We are thrilled that the National Association for Athletics Compliance gave her this prestigious honor.”

Cromer currently serves as the second vice president for NAAC and will soon take over as president. She was presented the award on June 25 during the NAAC convention in Dallas.

At IU, Cromer oversees IU’s compliance department and ensures that IU complies with all NCAA, Big Ten and university procedures, policies and regulations. She also serves as the department’s liaison to governing bodies such as the Big Ten and NCAA. In addition, Cromer oversees the department’s gender equity plan and serves as IU’s athletics certification liaison.

Cromer, who also holds the title of Senior Woman Administrator, is in her third year with the IU athletic department.

Prior to joining IU athletics, Cromer worked at the NCAA national office for more than 10 years, where she served as the NCAA’s director of academic and membership affairs for the majority of her tenure.

Cromer also spent two years at Wright State as an assistant athletic director, and four years as the assistant commissioner and director of compliance and championships for the Horizon League.

--Joe Popely