Friday, Sept. 27

IU grad publishes college memories

Book Cover

In her freshman year, Brittney Little wrecked her car on her way back to Bloomington for her second semester. She was forced into an ambulance because paramedics thought she was in shock. An EMT handed Little his number and told her she was really cute.

“I am like, ‘Are you kidding me? I am crying hysterically, and I am wearing sweatpants in the middle of nowhere, and I just got this cute EMT’s phone number,’” said Little, who graduated from IU this year. “‘This is awesome.’”

Little’s book, “What Doesn’t Kill You Makes a Good Story,” documents her college experiences from four years spent at IU.

“It starts from things freshman year, like the accident where I am super dramatic, to, like, senior year when stupid, little things happen all the time and I am like, ‘Whatever,’” she said. “It is kind of funny to see the progression of how you mature during the four years.”

Despite declaring a business major upon entering IU in 2008, Little quickly discovered her true calling was English.

“I’ve always loved to write and, particularly, I was told from fifth grade that I have a good voice in my writing,” she said. “I blossomed in my English classes, and it helped my writing.”

Little said a few friends helped convince her of the topic for her book. While she didn’t initially intend to publish a book, she kept a list of stories so she wouldn’t forget them.

“It was a team effort of getting the topic of the book all put together,” she said. “I loved IU in the end, but at first, it was kind of a rough start. So I kind of thought it would be fun to put together all of my college stories and be able to share with younger generations what I learned and my true first impressions of college.”

Little said she hopes her readers find balance in their college experience.

“As you’ll see in the book, I didn’t have a good opportunity for balance,” she said. “Freshman year, I partied too much, then I slept too much, then I ate too much. By the end, I finally had good balance, and I knew how to control myself. I hope everyone figures that out. By the time you graduate, you are like, ‘I wish I did that four years ago.’”

The book is a must-read for all Hoosiers, Little said.

“It is funny because I do mention a lot of IU-specific things,” she said. “Everyone remembers going to Kilroy’s or Nick’s after the game or going to the big IU-Kentucky basketball game. I just want everyone who has gone to IU to enjoy and remember their IU experience by looking through mine.”

In addition to visiting a variety of college campuses promoting “What Doesn’t Kill You Makes a Good Story,” Little has already begun working on her next book.

“Once you graduate, you have a whole other group of experiences that slap you in the face like getting a job, paying off your loans, so I am writing about that,” she said. “I mean, I need a real job, but for now, this is sufficing. I like this a lot.”

Little said the book is doing well.

“People are so supportive and so positive about it,” she said. “I am really blessed.”