Friday, Sept. 27

"Mockingbird" to premiere at Buskirk-Chumley

The Cardinal Stage Company announced yesterday it will open its 2012-13 season at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater with an adaption of Harper Lee’s “To Kill A Mockingbird.”

The production will run Sept. 6-16, with an opening performance at 7 p.m. Friday, Sept. 7. Tickets will cost $9.50 for students and $16.50 for adults.

“Mockingbird” is a collaboration with IU College of Arts and Sciences’ 2012 Themester “Good Behavior, Bad Behavior: Molecules of Morality.”

First published in 1960, more than 30 million copies have been sold of the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel. It is the most widely-read book in American high schools, according to the press release. Christopher Sergal adapted the literary classic for stage 30 years after the novel was published.

Cardinal is a professional theatre company based in Bloomington. Its performance of “Mockingbird” will feature local cast and crew members in addition to visiting artists.

David Higgins, former IU Opera set designer, designed the set. He designed past Cardinal shows including “Little Shop of Horrors,” “Souvenir” and “Annie.”

Bloomington’s own Elijah Earle will play Jem and Nathaniel Cox-Thurmond will play Dill.

Tickets are available for purchase at cardinalstage.org or at the box office at 900 S. Walnut St.

— Kate Thacker