Friday, Sept. 27

To do this week: Ongoing exhibits

PaperartQuilts

Paper Art Quilts- 2012

Mary Hambly’s “Paper Art Quilts-2012” exhibit is on display from Aug. 2 to 29 at the By Hand Gallery in Fountain Square Mall. A master’s graduate of the Henry Radford Hope School of Fine Arts, Hambly stitches together paper from across the world to creating eye-popping designs.

In her artist’s statement at the exhibit, Hambly said her work reflects the idea that life is full of contradictions. Quilts, especially those made of paper, are a paradox because the individual materials are specifically cut to be reassembled.

The paper quilt PAQ-2011/1 is composed of patterns including Chinese symbols, marbleized paper and red and black stripes. The work is stitched together with golden thread.

Sharon Bussert, manager of By Hand Gallery, said she has never seen work like Hambly’s.

“It’s nice to see something that’s really different, creative,” Bussert said. “I like her use of color.”

By Hand Gallery’s 11 co-operative owners choose what artists will be on display year-round in store, as well as choosing special works to exhibit.

Bussert said the smaller selection of Hambly’s work consistently on display at By Hand sells on a “fairly regular basis.”

“Our focus is on high-quality, locally made products,” Bussert said. “Not everything lends itself to doing special shows very well.”

Paragons of Filial Piety

Ten prints by Utagawa Kuniyoshi are on display from Aug. 14 through the end of the semester at the IU Art Museum. Titled “Paragons of Filial Piety,” the new installations were organized in conjunction with the fall 2012 Themester “Good Behavior, Bad Behavior: Molecules to Morality.”

Located in the Gallery of the Art of Asia and the Ancient Western World, the works of ink and color on paper depict children caring for their parents. Pictures are accompanied by text that explains the scenes.

In one print, a boy goes to find the doe milk needed to heal his parents’ eye disease. Initially scolded by a hunter for capturing a deer, he praises the boy when he recognizes his good deed.

In another, a young boy throws himself in front of a tiger to save his father. The tiger is so startled that it runs away.

The “Filial Piety” prints are based on a text by Chinese scholar Guo Jujing, which draws influence from Confucius’ “Analects.” The book highlights sacrifices made by 24 sons and daughters. Guo’s text was widely circulated and reproduced on temples, vases and tombs.

Although some critics say filial piety is an oppressive ideal, it is intended as a way for children to give back to their parents as they age.

“Filial piety is meant to be the beginning of a larger program of care that begins in the home and extends to the entire country,” wrote Michael Ing, assistant professor in the Department of Religious Studies, in the description for the installations.

- Kate Thacker