Friday, Sept. 27

Weekend festivals to celebrate long weekend

Celebrate the three-day weekend with art, music and festivals around Bloomington and south central Indiana.

Linton Music Festival

6 to 10 p.m. Friday, 1 to 10 p.m. Saturday and 2 to 10 p.m. Sunday

Humphrey’s Park in Linton, Ind.

Described as “Mayberry meets Woodstock,” Indiana’s largest free musical festival will feature 25 Indiana bands. The festival concludes with a fireworks show at 10 p.m. Sunday.

Bloomington band Charlie Patton’s War will perform at 8:15 p.m. Friday, Curtis Cantwell-Jackson at 2:30 p.m. Saturday and the Vallures at 7:45 p.m. Saturday. Visit lintonmusicfest.com/schedule/ for the full list of performances.

Fourth Street Art Festival of the Arts & Crafts

10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday

Fourth and Grant Streets

Originally created in 1977 to showcase local artists, the Fourth Street Festival now features artists from across the nation. This free event will highlight arts and fine crafts, live music and spoken word performances in addition to booths from community businesses. The festival is organized in conjunction with the Community Art Fair a few blocks away.

Community Art Fair and Garlic Fest

Third Street Park, 331 N. Washington St.

This two-part festival will feature more than 30 local artists selling their work, local music and local food. Live entertainment will include Jenn Christy, Snake Doctor Review and Governor Davis on Saturday, as well as M & David Roach, Sarah Flint and The Dynamics on Sunday. Festival organizers have coordinated demonstrations and educational events about garlic growing and food additives.

The Runcible Spoon is sponsoring a Youth Healthful Garlic Cooking Contest in which chefs 18 years or younger will compete for a $100 cash prize. Runcible Spoon owner Matt O’Neill will give a demonstration about how to properly cook garlic. Admission is free, with showcased food from Lennie’s, Bloomingfoods Market and Deli and Max’s Place starting at $3.

- Kate Thacker