Sunday, Oct. 6

Alexander, Cooper bond on, off field

IU ISU Football

IU sophomore linebacker David Cooper looked to his right.

His best friend and junior linebacker Jacarri Alexander stood next to him and nodded back.

It was go time.

The two were about to play the first snap of their Division I football careers side by side as the Hoosiers faced in-state foe Indiana State.

Perhaps it was fitting they both started the game. Perhaps it was destiny that they stood next to each other as play began.

Whatever it was, the two were in it together, ready to make their mark on Indiana football.

Separate beginnings merge paths
Cooper and Alexander did not take typical paths toward playing football at the Big Ten level. Instead of enrolling at IU straight out of high school, both took alternative routes ending in Bloomington.

Coming out of Auburndale (Fla.) High School in spring 2008, Alexander decided to pursue a collegiate football career.

However, he did not get the opportunity to play at the NCAA level, so he enrolled at Iowa Central Community College.

Cooper graduated from Brookwood (Ga.) High School in 2010 and enrolled at Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College.

Both said they focused on improving their discipline in the classroom and on the field. NCAA teams took notice. During the 2011 season, Division I teams started to recruit them.

Alexander boasted offers from Bowl Championship Series teams Kansas State and
Pittsburgh. Cooper had multiple scholarship opportunities, including Iowa State, Kentucky and Minnesota.

The two shared one common offer: Indiana.

On Sept. 27, 2011, Alexander committed to the Hoosiers, becoming the 14th commit of the 2012 class.

“Indiana is great for academics,” Alexander said. “With the whole football situation, I just want to be a part of changing the environment with (IU) Coach (Kevin) Wilson’s program.”

About two months later, Cooper would join the Hoosiers’ class, committing Nov. 16, 2011. Despite a change of heart that caused him to decommit in mid-December, he affirmed his pledge to IU for a second time 10 days after.

He said he could not pass on the opportunity to play Big Ten football.

“I am more than excited,” Cooper said at the time of his enrollment. “I’m ready. It’s been something I’ve been dreaming about since I was a little kid.”

The start of a friendship
Despite their separate journeys, Cooper and Alexander found themselves to be roommates at the start of the 2012 spring semester.

Hundreds of miles from home, both were about to start their new lives at IU as NCAA student athletes.

The two bonded immediately. They had both been through similar journeys, trekking through the junior college ranks to get to this point.

They quickly became best friends, spending time together on and off the football field.

“We’re like brothers,” Cooper said. “He’s the big brother and I’m the little brother, but we love to compete. I can’t really describe it. It’s just a brotherly love type of thing. We bonded, and it feels good to play right next to him on the field.”

The two shared much of their time together during their first few months at IU. Both also said their friendship has only grown since arriving in Bloomington in January.

“We’re always together,” Cooper said. “It’s kind of like we’re like twin brothers. We’re everywhere with each other, man. You don’t see him without me. You don’t see me without him.”

Suiting up and taking off
Throughout fall camp, Alexander and Cooper gained the respect of their coaches and teammates.

IU Co-Defensive Coordinator Doug Mallory said at one point both would likely be starters.

Sophomore linebacker Chase Hoobler said they brought great competition and leadership to the table.

When dusk fell Saturday night, Alexander’s and Cooper’s dreams of playing Division I football came true.

Both were on the field for the first play of scrimmage, officially tabbed as IU’s starters.

Despite the pregame butterflies, Cooper and Alexander said the comfort of playing next to their best friend made the situation a lot easier to handle.

“We talked about it all the time of what we’d do in game situations,” Alexander said. “That’s all we do, is talk the game, on and off the field, so it felt good to finally get to do it.”

In that season opener, the two combined for 10 of IU’s 60 tackles en route to a 24-17 Hoosier victory.

Cooper provided one tackle for loss, while Alexander, on his birthday and playing in front of his family for the first time since his senior year of high school, made a tackle in the open field that prevented ISU running back Shakir Bell from picking up a large gain.

“It was a good start,” Wilson said of their performance. “I thought they did well, but it will be interesting to see where they are in two to three weeks from now.”

Now that game one is out of the way, Alexander and Cooper said they are much more comfortable playing in IU uniforms.

They are adjusting to NCAA game tempo, the balance between classes and football and the meaning of what it takes to be a Hoosier football player.

Both players said competing alongside your roommate and best friend is worth it all and what has made this journey so special.

“I know he’s going to do his job, and I know I am going to do my job,” Cooper said. “What’s great is we just help each other get better like brothers do.”