Sunday, Oct. 6

Column: 2012 NFL Preview: Tom Brady will win his fourth Lombardi trophy

AFC NORTH
I give the Baltimore Ravens the slight edge against the Pittsburgh Steelers here.

Losing Terrell Suggs won’t help, but Pittsburgh has its own problems with an unhappy Mike Wallace and yet another offensive line that can’t stay healthy.

The Cincinnati Bengals overachieved a little last year, so don’t be surprised if they take a step back in 2012.

AFC SOUTH
Like New England, the Houston Texans are another clear favorite to win their division. If quarterback Matt Schaub had not been injured last year, Houston could have easily made it to the Super Bowl and maybe even won it.

The Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars and Tennessee Titans will all be starting quarterbacks in either their first or second year. This rarely results in a playoff berth.

AFC EAST
The New England Patriots have won this division eight times in the last nine years. Expect that trend to continue. Tom Brady and company only improved in the offseason with the addition of Brandon Lloyd to help stretch the field vertically.

The New York Jets and Miami Dolphins are getting worse, and although the Buffalo Bills are on the rise, they’re still not close to the Patriots’ level of talent.

AFC WEST
This is the toughest division to figure out. The Kansas City Chiefs, Denver Broncos and San Diego Chargers all could win anywhere from seven to 11 games, depending on health and intangibles such as team chemistry.

I believe the Chiefs have the brightest outlook because of their defense and the additions of Eric Berry and Jamaal Charles, both returning from injured reserve.

NFC NORTH
Although not necessarily with ease, the Green Bay Packers should win this division.
The Chicago Bears were well on their way to a playoff berth last year before Jay Cutler and Matt Forte suffered through season-ending injuries.

Newly acquired Brandon Marshall will turn the Bears’ passing game from a weakness to a strength.

The Detroit Lions will also be a threat following their first playoff appearance since 1999.

NFC SOUTH
Top to bottom, this might be the strongest division in the NFL. The Carolina Panthers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers both finished under .500 last year, but they will improve with the leadership of reigning Offensive Rookie of the Year Cam Newton and new head coach Greg Schiano.

The New Orleans Saints will likely take a step back with all the Bountygate hoopla, but will still be a strong force.

The Atlanta Falcons will be a legitimate Super Bowl contender in 2012 with receiving tandem Julio Jones and Roddy White leading the way.

NFC EAST
The Dallas Cowboys have traditionally been underachievers, but I think this is the year they will finally break through.

Their additions of Morris Claiborne and Brandon Carr will help fix the big pass defense problem Dallas suffered from in 2011.

The New York Giants are the defending Super Bowl champions, but they just got hot at the right time.

The Philadelphia Eagles are again receiving more hype than necessary, and the Washington Redskins are in rebuilding mode.

NFC WEST
The San Francisco 49ers will easily win this division. They return an incredible defense that carried them to the NFC Championship Game last year.

The Seattle Seahawks are average at best, the St. Louis Rams are still rebuilding and the Arizona Cardinals don’t have a franchise quarterback. Don’t expect a wild-card team to emerge from this division.

SUPER BOWL PREDICTION
New England Patriots  versus Green Bay Packers.

The Packers will be hungry after last year’s playoff debacle, and their rookie defensive stars should help bolster an awful 2011 defense.

I love the Pats’ addition of Lloyd. His downfield speed will stretch out opposing defenses, leaving Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez and Wes Welker open to work the middle of the field.

The Pats also suffered from a less-than-stellar defense in 2011, but they were still able to make the Super Bowl and barely lost to the Giants. Tom Brady is 35, and this might be his last great chance to win his fourth Vince Lombardi trophy.

­— tlstutzm@indiana.edu