Sunday, Oct. 6

Column: Passing game will be key to IU offense in 2012

IU quarterback Tre Roberson will never forget last Saturday.

Against Indiana State, the sophomore threw for a career-high 280 yards, completing 26-of-36 passing attempts with one touchdown.

Roberson’s performance marked a significant change in his playing style from last season, in which he was forced to run the ball more often than desired.

It prompted IU Coach Kevin Wilson to mold the former Lawrence Central standout into a true pocket passer, rather than a Denard Robinson copycat.

Roberson spoke of the confidence and sure-handedness he feels in his role as a pocket passer in the Hoosiers’ spread offense.

“I feel way more confident,” Roberson said. “I feel more comfortable. I know the offense totally, so I really do feel comfortable out there.”

That should be a relief to Hoosier fans, as Roberson seems to be the saving grace of an offense that worked its way to a mere 24 points against the Indiana State defense. That defense finished the 2011 season ranked 72nd in total defense at the Football Championship Subdivision level.

Unlike the most successful quarterbacks in the Big Ten Conference, Roberson does not have the luxury of leaning on a productive running game.

Against the Sycamores, feature back D’Angelo Roberts only managed 67 rushing yards on 22 carries, a bottom line that surely has future opposing defenses licking their chops.

The only solution to that glaring problem is for Roberson and his receivers to move the ball and tack on large chunks of yardage through the air.

Those receivers might be the most promising position group on the field this season, as witnessed by their performance Saturday evening.

Roberson’s favorite target for 60 minutes was sophomore Shane Wynn, who hauled in six receptions for 95 yards. Seventy-one of those 95 receiving yards came on a beautiful heave from Roberson that put six points on the board for the Hoosiers.

That’s simply one example of the type of explosive plays that stretch the defense the Indiana offense needs to have a shot at being competitive against the remaining 11 teams.

Wynn’s counterpart, junior Duwyce Wilson, also had an impressive night for the Hoosiers, grabbing five receptions for 52 yards.

The Hoosiers need Wilson to stay healthy this season, as they suffered when he missed the final three games of last season due to a knee injury.

Wilson’s bottom line last season took a dip from his freshman season, as the 6-foot-3-inch, 195-pound junior finished with 15 fewer receptions and 271 fewer receiving yards.

If Wilson can return to his freshman form, the Hoosier offense will have yet another lethal weapon in the passing game.

With the return from suspension of last season’s leading receiver, Kofi Hughes, Roberson will have a trio of tremendous receivers to distribute the ball to.

“I love our receiving corps,” Roberson said. “All of them, they bring their own things. They’re all fast, and they all make plays. Whenever they get the ball in their hands, they make plays, and that’s what I love.”

­— ckillore@indiana.edu