Sunday, Oct. 6

Column: Three questions for IUBB

Men's basketball v Stony Brook

Here are the three biggest questions I see about the IU men’s basketball schedule.

1. How much will playing no “true” road games in the nonconference portion of the schedule affect the Hoosiers in Big Ten play?

Last season, as the Hoosiers approached their ACC-Big Ten road game at N.C. State, IU Coach Tom Crean’s crew still needed a solid road victory.

It seems like a long time ago now, but don’t forget that Crean had only led IU to one road victory during his first three years before going 5-6 on the road last season.

IU’s victory against N.C. State ultimately became a huge confidence builder for the Hoosiers heading into the Kentucky game only 10 days later.

This year, the only thing close to a nonconference road game is the two-day Legends Classic in “the House that Jay-Z Built” in Brooklyn, N.Y. IU is guaranteed to play Georgia on the first day and then would play either Georgetown or UCLA on day two.

When you add those matchups to the home game against North Carolina in this year’s ACC-Big Ten Challenge and Dec. 15’s Crossroads Classic game against Butler, I think that will be enough game-time experience against high-end talent to prepare the Hoosiers for any road game in the Big Ten.

But don’t be surprised if IU has a few early slip-ups on the road in conference play.

2. How will the Hoosiers handle their hardest two weeks of the Big Ten season (Jan. 27 through Feb. 10)?

If there is one chunk of IU’s Big Ten schedule that can make or break the Hoosiers’ Big Ten regular season championship hopes, it starts Jan. 27 when the Michigan State Spartans come to Assembly Hall and ends Feb. 10 in Columbus, Ohio, with the Buckeyes.

Between those games, IU will board the emotional roller coaster called “life in the Big Ten.”

On Jan. 30, the Hoosiers will walk into Mackey Arena for their first rivalry game of the season against Purdue. It’s always hard to determine if the adrenaline is flowing more through the bodies of the players or the fans during IU-Purdue games.

Either way, it’s going to be intense.

Speaking of intensity, ESPN’s College Gameday will be in Bloomington three days later, and Hoosier fans will anticipate the national spotlight all week, if not all year.

Remember how much the first IU-Kentucky game was built up last year? IU-Michigan on Gameday might reach that level — especially if both teams live up to their preseason potential.

After what could be a possible “game of the year candidate” against the Wolverines, the cream and crimson hit the road for a Thursday night battle against Illinois in
Champaign, Ill.

Playing in front of the Orange Krush student section in the Assembly Hall of Champaign is never an easy task, even if the Illini appear to be in a down year.

It will be an important game, as a matchup with Ohio State looms that
Sunday.

If IU can go a respectable 3-2 or even 4-1 in these five games, its hope of winning the Big Ten regular season will still be alive. If the Hoosiers can’t tread water and wind up losing three or more of these matchups, the regular season crown might sink down the drain.

3. What games could be potential “trap games” for IU, or is there a “sleeper” team that could surprise IU at home this year?

No games on the schedule jump out as true “trap games” for IU.

(Note: The term “trap game” is used to refer to a game against a supposedly inferior team that is sandwiched in the middle of two tough games.)

The only one I see that has the potential to fit this description would be the Feb. 13 game against Nebraska in Bloomington.

Before this matchup, IU plays Ohio State on Feb. 10. The Hoosiers play the second rivalry game against Purdue on Feb. 16.

While few outside of the Cornhusker State will say there is any chance of an upset in this contest, don’t forget that Nebraska surprised IU with a 70-69 win in Lincoln, Neb., last season.

That being said, I don’t believe Nebraska is the “sleeper” team in the Big Ten that will come into Assembly Hall and get a win.

I’m going to give that title to Iowa.

The Hawkeyes come to Bloomington on March 2 for one of the last home games of the Big Ten regular season.

That Saturday matchup is on the heels of the Hoosiers’ March 5 meeting with Ohio State — a game that could decide the Big Ten championship.

Last year, Iowa was run out of Bloomington 103-89, but it turned around and torched the Hoosiers 78-66 in their second meeting.

With the versatile 6-foot-8-inch sophomore Aaron White returning and 7-foot-1-inch freshman Adam Woodbury leading the Hawkeyes, IU will need to start March — the most important month in college basketball — with a bang to gain momentum heading into tournament time.

­— mdnorman@indiana.edu