Friday, Sept. 27

Experts to discuss utopia at Venue

A model for the future of humanity is nestled in the Italian Alps.

The Federation of Damanhur is a self-sufficient, eco-friendly community with more than 1,000 residents.

Musical storyteller Kaleo Wheeler and feng shui expert Bill Land will give a presentation about “The Art of Damanhur” at 5:30 p.m. today at The Venue Fine Art & Gifts.

Wheeler and Land will discuss the Temples of Humankind, a series of underground tunnels that is sometimes referred to as the “Eighth Wonder of the World.”

The presentation is intended to preview Damanhur spiritual researcher Crotalo Sesamo’s visit to Bloomington from Oct. 25 to Nov. 8.

Sesamo has lived in Damanhur for 20 years and is the director of Olami Damanhur University.

Skeptics have labeled the community as a cult.

Damanhur is a utopian community with a commitment to sustainability, education, art and research, according to the website.

Founded by Oberto Airaudi in 1975 in Valchiusella Valley, the Global Human Settlements Forum awarded Damanhur the 2005 Award for Sustainable Communities.

The community has its own constitution, organized economy and currency. It is intended to be an example for cooperative communities and peaceful societies elsewhere.

“Thinking of the future in a positive manner and translating ideas into actions and concrete achievements are essential steps to build the new culture of peace,” according to the Damanhur website. “This is the commitment of Damanhur for the future.”