Friday, Sept. 27

Four acts in four nights at the Bishop

For the next four nights, four headliners will perform four very different musical styles at the Bishop. Tickets for each show can be purchased through Landlocked Music, Spirit of ’68 Promotions or at the door.

Eilen Jewell
8 p.m. today
$10

Dan Coleman, talent buyer at the Bishop, said Jewell performed at Lotus two years ago.

“She’s really talented,” Coleman said. “It’s steeped in rockabilly but has elements
of southern gospel and traditional folk.”

Bloomington-based band The 220 Breakers will open for Jewell.

Nicknamed the “Queen of the Minor Key,” Jewell released an album of the same name in 2011.

Jewell is a singer-songwriter who performs country, jazz and R&B.

“My goal as a songwriter is to always improve,” Jewell said in a biography for her
website. “Every time I make a record, I want it to be even more real, more heartfelt, than the one before it.”

MONO

9:30 p.m. Thursday
$13

Post-rock band Mono formed in Tokyo in 1999.

Coleman said the band has not performed in Bloomington since he’s lived here.

“They’re doing a U.S. tour in support of their new album,” Coleman said. “They have a really big following in big cities, so it’s a rarity for them to come to a city this small.”

Their newest album, “For My Parents,” was released Sept. 4.

The band has performed across the world at festivals such as SXSW, Popkomm in Cologne, Germany, and Fomoz Fest, Taiwan’s largest music festival.

Mono’s biography on the Bishop event listing page describes their music as a mix of “sadness and beauty, light and darkness, chaos and peace.”

Chris Brokaw will open the performance.

WIUX and Spirit of ’68 are selling discounted tickets for the show.

Tickets are for sale for $8 from 1 to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday at the WIUX station house.

R-Juna
10:30 p.m. Friday
$5

Local MC R-Juna will perform what Coleman describes as “conscious hip-hop.”

He is a member of 3rd Eye Visionary, a group including artists Philmatic and DJ Topspeed. They released their first album, “Sight Beyond,” in June 2011.

Coleman said R-Juna is not new to the Bloomington scene as a solo act.

“He’s been performing in town for years,” Coleman said. “He’s built up a following over the years of local kids. It’s always a good time when they play.”

You’re a Liar and The Proforms are also scheduled to perform.

Dinosaur Feathers

9 p.m. Saturday
$8

Brooklyn-based band Dinosaur Feathers has made recent changes.

The band has experimented with a variety of musical styles, according to their band biography.

After replacing their drum machine with an actual drummer, the band is now more rock-focused.

“It’s really good pop rock,” Coleman said. “They do a lot of poppy, upbeat rock. It’s
super catchy.”

Shark? and Firemoose will perform before Dinosaur Feathers.

— Kate Thacker