Sunday, Oct. 6

sports volleyball

IU wins Indiana Invitational

Volleyball Vs. Bowling Green

The IU women’s volleyball team won its second straight invitational last weekend, defeating Cleveland State and Georgia Tech en route to the Indiana Invitational championship.

It began Friday, when the Hoosiers quelled the Cleveland State Vikings in four sets.
In a theme that would be consistent throughout the weekend, IU came back from a 22-23 deficit to take the first set 25-23.

Junior outside hitter Jade Henderson went down with an apparent ankle injury in the first set and could not play the rest of the game.

Cleveland State responded by taking the second set 25-19. IU came back in the third for the 25-14 win.

In the fourth and final set, the Hoosiers went on a 5-0 run after being down 20-15. They proceeded to take the set 26-24 and secured the first win of the weekend.

IU lost its first match of the season Saturday to previously winless Bowling Green in four sets.

After a 25-22 first-set win for the Hoosiers, they proceeded to lose the next three 25-18, 27-25 and 25-20.

Junior defensive specialist Caitlin Hansen said she thought her team let one slip away.

“I definitely felt like we played down to their level,” Hansen said. “We looked past them, but that gave us the mentality of ‘OK, we’re not losing tonight.’”

The nightcap featured IU against Georgia Tech in the marquee match of the tournament. The winner would be crowned champion of the Indiana Invitational.

After missing a great portion of the Cleveland State match and the entirety of the Bowling Green match, Henderson was back in action for the Hoosiers, a huge addition for the team, IU Coach Sherry Dunbar said.

“She sprained her ankle last night, and we didn’t think she’d be able to play,” Dunbar said. “But in warm-ups, she said, ‘I’m ready to go.’ She just has a spark out there and has an energy about her when she makes plays.”

In the first set, IU found itself down 24-21 and had to rally three straight points.

In all, IU fended off five Georgia Tech set points and took the set 29-27.

The second set was a similar story. The Yellow Jackets ran to a 24-22 lead. The Hoosiers responded by taking the next two points and fending off three total set points for the 27-25 win.

In the third set, Georgia Tech took the set by keeping off another IU rally and won 25-22.

In set four, the Yellow Jackets ran out to a 15-8 lead, to which IU responded with a 6-1 run.

Georgia Tech built their lead again for a 21-17 margin, to which IU again responded with an 8-2 run to take the set, match and tournament in the process.

Hansen, junior outside hitter Jordan Haverly and senior middle blocker Samantha Thrower were named to the all-tournament team.

Hansen was named tournament MVP after a career-high 19 digs that anchored the IU defense. Hansen said she was excited to learn about her honor.

“I’m totally flabbergasted and excited,” Hansen said. “I’m just going to keep working hard and see where else it gets me.”

Dunbar was proud of how her team was able to bounce back after a tough loss earlier in the day.

“I’m more proud in the win than disappointed in the loss,” Dunbar said. “To bounce back and beat the best team in the tournament and come out and fight every single point and be down in every single set and find a way to win, that’s a true test of character.”