Sunday, Oct. 6

Love breaks through barriers in fifth season

love

Charles Love III has been an Indiana Hoosier for as long as anyone on IU’s roster.

In fact, he has been a part of the program since he committed to IU on Dec. 14, 2007, a time when half of IU’s current undergraduate students were still in the eighth or ninth grade.

Love, a wide receiver turned tight end, never caught a pass in his collegiate career before this year. He has battled through injuries and coaching changes throughout his five-year span in Bloomington.

Last Saturday, Love finally experienced the personal glory that had previously eluded him during his tenure as a member of the IU football team.

His name was finally recorded in the statistics books with two receptions and a touchdown in IU’s 45-6 victory against Massachusetts.

“I was just excited and happy to be back from all the injuries I’ve had in the past,” Love said. “I was happy to be back out there with the team.”

Getting on the field has not been that simple for Love.

A fifth-year senior from Memphis, Tenn., he sat out his first year at IU to gain a year of eligibility.

During the following two seasons, he underwent a position change and an ACL injury, which further complicated his collegiate career.

Though he played on special teams, Love rarely had opportunities to make a name for himself in scrimmage.

After former IU Coach Bill Lynch was fired at the end of Love’s sophomore campaign, Love had a new chance to earn playing time with IU Coach Kevin Wilson.

In a cruel twist of fate, during a practice only one week before IU opened its 2011 season against Ball State, his leg planted the wrong way, and he fell to the ground.

In a freak accident, as Love called it, he tore his ACL. He did not play his entire junior year, and a season of his eligibility was burned.

“There were a lot of ups and downs,” Love said. “I had to work from starting at zero to go right back up to playing again. It was just really tough for me.”

Heading into this season, Love knew this would be his last chance to prove himself on the field.

Despite graduating in May 2012 with a degree in recreational sports management, he had one year of NCAA eligibility left.

If he wanted to play again, Love said he knew he would have to recover quickly and train hard.

He did just that. Heading into the 2012 season, Love was healthy and was named the second string tight end on IU’s roster.

“I love Chuck,” senior center Will Matte said. “He’s battled and stuck through everything. Last year in camp, I know he tore his ACL, and that was hard to see, but he is a warrior. He just fights, and I’m really happy for him.”

During IU’s game Saturday, Love caught his first pass of his career from sophomore quarterback Cameron Coffman while jumping between two UMass defenders in the second quarter.

If that wasn’t enough for Love, in the fourth quarter, he caught his second pass of the day.

The 12-yard fade pass into the end zone was Love’s first touchdown as a Hoosier.

Despite two ACL injuries and playing as a backup for most of his career, Love finally arrived at the moment he had been waiting for.

He jumped in the air and was rushed by his teammates as he put his team on the scoreboard 44-6.

“I was so happy,” Love said. “Just coming back from all of my injuries and catching balls and touchdowns, it feels good. Actually, it feels great.”

Moving forward, Love said his goals focus on team success rather than himself. He has always said the team comes first.

Love said he wants to play and produce for his team on the scoreboard.

Now, after a journey not many players have endured, he can finally say he has done that.

“That guy works his tail off and has been through thick and thin,” Matte said. “He’s resilient, and to have him out there producing, it’s really awesome.”