Friday, Sept. 27

Medieval Studies to resume movie series

After a four-year hiatus, the Medieval Studies Institute will resume its Medieval
Studies Movie Series with a screening of “Anchoress.”

The film will start at 7:30 p.m. tonight in Woodburn 101 and is open to the public.
Pizza, soda and snacks will be provided.

“Anchoress,” originally shown at the 1993 Cannes Film Festival, follows the life
of Christine Carpenter in the 14th century.

An anchoress is a woman who withdraws from society for religious reasons. In medieval times, an anchoress would live in a small cell attached to a church to focus
on prayer and an ascetic lifestyle.

Based on letters written about an actual anchoress during this time period, Carpenter is encouraged by her priest to become an anchoress in the church during the film.

She later questions her decision. Diane Fruchtman, special projects assistant for the Medieval Studies Institute, said an undergraduate student suggested a movie series five or six years ago.

“It’s something that we’ve done in the past, although not in recent years,” Fruchtman said. “He noticed that other undergrads weren’t really coming out to medieval studies events.”

Fruchtman said the institute hasn’t organized a movie series in several years because of an already large volume of programming.

“We have a lot of events that would be good for undergrads to go to,” Fruchtman said. “Last year, we had a manuscript illuminator come to the Lilly Library.”

The program offers minors in medieval studies for undergraduates and graduate students as well as a graduate certificate. The medieval studies website lists 21 academic departments that participate in the program, including French and Italian, history of art and philosophy.

“Medieval studies is inherently interdisciplinary, so the program is interdisciplinary,“
Fruchtman said.

This year’s movie series follows the theme Religious Lives. Fruchtman said she asked faculty members in the program for film recommendations and chose three movies to fit the unified theme.

“We’re actually buying these movies so we have a library that teachers can use,”
Fruchtman said. “That’s why we started with faculty this year.”

Diane Reilly, associate professor in art history, suggested “Anchoress.”

As “Anchoress” progresses, Carpenter’s awakening sexuality brings conflict and causes her to challenge the priest’s authority.

“This movie is filmed in black and white,” Fruchtman said. “It’s very artistic. It’s a pretty racy movie.”

The movie series will include a screening of “Brother Sun, Sister Moon” on Oct. 17
and “Ostrov (The Island)” on Nov. 14.

“This is a fun way of learning and a fun way of participating in the intellectual life of the campus,” Fruchtman said.

Contrary to what some may think, the medieval studies program is not just for faculty and graduate students. Fruchtman said about 40 undergraduate students are pursuing minors in the program.

She said popular culture, such as fantasy novels and movies, has helped generate interest in medievalism and medieval studies among undergraduates.

“What this leads to is people being more interested in the Middle Ages and wanting
to learn more,” Fruchtman said. “The movie series is one of the ways that we’re doing
outreach to the undergrads who want to study medievalism, and the faculty that can
provide that.”

— Kate Thacker

Medieval movie screenings in Woodburn

Anchoress (1993)
7:30 p.m. tonight

Brother Sun, Sister Moon (1972)
7:30 p.m. Oct. 17

Ostrov (The Island) (2006)
7:30 p.m. Nov. 14