Friday, Sept. 27

Applications for local projects now available

Bloomington Music Compilation Project

Bloomington Area Music wants submissions for the first volume of “Spotlight,” a compilation project.

The completed album will be available as a CD and digital download during spring 2013.

Musicians of any genre are encouraged to apply.

The project allows one submission per band, with at least one member living in Monroe County, and accepts original material only.

Songs must be in a high quality format such as WAV and should not exceed five minutes in length.

CD submissions can be dropped off from noon to 6 p.m. Tuesday through Friday at Rhino’s Youth Media Center and All-Ages Club or from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday at City Hall.

BAM charges a $10 submission fee. Applications must be submitted by Nov. 5.
More details are available at bloomingtonareamusic.com/spotlight.

Performing arts series

Local musicians and bands are encouraged to apply for the 2013 Performing Arts Series.

Applicants must submit an artist application, two photos, a CD and recent publicity to the City of Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department by 5 p.m. Dec. 17.

Performances will take place from May through September during the Peoples Park lunch series, June through August in the Waldron, Hill and Buskirk parks and Sundays in July and August in Bryan Park.

“The Bloomington community embraces its local musical talent, and we love being able to support the arts and introduce the people of Bloomington to our city parks in such a delightful way,” said Becky Barrick-Higgins, community events manager.

“Spending a summer evening on a picnic blanket under the stars and listening to live music is one of our favorite Bloomington traditions.”

Applications are available online at bloomington.in.gov/concerts.

- Kate Thacker