Friday, Sept. 27

Around the Arts

PCO Zine Project

The People of Color Zine Project’s Race Riot! Tour will arrive in Bloomington tonight.

Mimi Nguyen of Race Riot, Anna Vo of Fix My Head, Cristy Road of Greenzine and Osa Atoe of Shotgun Seamstress will read their multimedia zines, self-published magazines associated with the DIY/punk lifestyle, at 7 p.m. Tuesday at Rachael’s Café.

Originally scheduled at Boxcar Books, the event was moved to Rachael’s Café to increase seating capacity, according to the Facebook event.

The event will also feature local zine writer Bella Bravo.

POC Zine Project’s tour has stops in 12 locations that began last Monday and will continue through Sunday, from big cities to college towns.

Founded by Daniela Capistrano in 2010, the project’s mission is to promote community and activism by making zines by people of color easier to find, share and distribute, according to its blog.

The event is free, but donations are encouraged.

A Place Aside Artists and Their partners

“A Place Aside: Artists and Their Partners” opened Monday at the Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender and Reproduction.

Guest curated by Garrett Hansen, the exhibit features photographs by Hansen and eight other photographers from Brazil, China, Japan and the United States.

The exhibit is open from 1:30 to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Displays include a book of photographs by Tanya Bezreh taken of and for her husband as a Christmas present.

Gustavo Gomes’ photographs depict pictures of his then-girlfriend Larissa during trips they took together.

The exhibit was organized in conjunction with “Intimate Models: Photographs of Husbands, Wives, and Lovers” at the IU Art Museum.

Kinsey coordinated an exhibit opening last Friday evening. Photos will remain on display through Dec. 20.

“The photographer steps back to create the image and their partner, who has seen countless images of themselves created by the photographer, and adjusts accordingly,” Hansen said in the exhibit description.

The Art of Wellness

Today’s society of fast cars, fast food and fast-paced news might create a health crisis.

Greg Jacobs will give a presentation about “The Art of Wellness — Finding Wellness in a Health-Challenged Society” from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. today at The Venue Fine Art & Gifts.

Jacobs is a certified exercise, conditioning and strength instructor and works as a personal trainer at the Student Recreational Sports Center.

He will discuss causes of the crisis, including incorrect information about how to live a healthy life.

In addition to identifying the causes, Jacobs will discuss how a healthy lifestyle can combat stress, illness and weight issues.

“Improving your health and fitness is about more than an exercise program,” Jacobs wrote in his recreational sports profile. “Dedication to making small changes in your lifestyle will pay big dividends over time.”