Friday, Sept. 27

IU Art Museum to open seasonal exhibitions

The IU Art Museum will open three new exhibitions Saturday in the Special Exhibitions Gallery and the Judi and Milt Stewart Hexagon Gallery. The exhibitions will remain on display until Dec. 23.

Barry Gealt: Embracing Nature

After teaching for about 40 years, including at the Henry Radford Hope School of Fine Arts, Barry Gealt retired in 2007. Now, 32 of his landscape paintings will be featured in this new exhibition. The paintings span three decades of Gealt’s work. The museum has organized an opening reception at 5:30 p.m. Friday.

Pioneers and Exiles: German Expressionism

“Pioneers and Exiles” explores prominent artists and techniques in German expressionism with 48 pieces from the museum’s permanent collection. The exhibition includes the ways artists and art dealers exiled from Nazi Germany have impacted the museum’s collection in a historical context, according to the press release.

Threads of Love: Baby Carriers from China’s Minority Nationalities

Embroidered baby carriers sewn with auspicious Chinese symbols for good luck, good fortune and longevity will be on display. Carriers with patterns particular to the Miao, Zhuang, Yao and Shui nationalities will be featured. Yawan Yu,collector of the textiles, will attend a “Meet the Collector” reception for the exhibit at 2 p.m. Sunday. Yu published a multi-volume work, “The Collected Work of Folk Art in China,” in 2001.

— Kate Thacker