Sunday, Oct. 6

IU in 12th place after day 1 of competition in Illinois

FROM IDS REPORTS

The IU men’s golf team struggled in the first round of the Olympia Fields/Fighting Illini Invitational on Sunday. With two rounds remaining, the Hoosiers stand in 12th place out of the 14-team field with a score of 300.

During their first nine holes, the Hoosiers carded 12 bogeys and three double bogeys while scoring a birdie five times.

Their over-par scoring continued during the second nine holes as they bogeyed 17 holes and shot double bogeys on two holes.

Senior Brant Peaper led the Hoosiers in day one of the three-day tournament as shooting a three over par 73, tied for 20th place individually.

His four birdies were the most for IU, and he was the lone Hoosier not to record a double bogey.

The high score for the Hoosiers belonged to junior Hugo Menendez, as his six bogeys and two double bogeys led to a seven-over-par 77. He finished the day in a tie for 52nd place.

Rounding out the Hoosier scoring was senior Corey Ziedonis with a 75 followed by junior David Mills and sophomore Andrew Fogg, each firing a 76.

Arkansas took the round-one lead into clubhouse as they shot a 283, five shots better than second-place Northwestern.

The Hoosiers look to improve their standing during round two at 8:40 a.m. Monday.

Menendez will tee off from hole 10, followed by Fogg, Mills, Ziedonis and Peaper, with eight minutes between each group.

— Jason Haddix