Friday, Sept. 27

Jacobs School to present auditions, guitar festival

Indiana International Guitar Festival and Competition

Saturday and Sunday

Ford-Crawford, Sweeney and Auer halls

The third annual Indiana International Guitar Festival and Competition will include guest artists and instrument demonstrations.

Presented by the Jacobs School of Music’s guitar department, guest artist recitals will feature guitarists Martha Masters and Edoardo Catemario.

The competition is divided into three divisions: junior youth division for participants ages 14 and younger, senior youth division for participants ages 14-18 and the open division for participants ages 19-35.

IU students cannot participate in the guitar competition. The competition is open to any other performer who is not represented by professional management, according to the press release. Winners will receive cash prizes.

The grand prize winner will also be awarded a handmade guitar by Kolya Panhuyzen, valued at $12,000.

For a full schedule of events, visit blogs.music.indiana.edu/guitarfestival.

Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions

Oct. 27

Musical Arts Center

The Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions’ Indiana District round will begin at noon.

IU first lady Laurie Burns McRobbie, will emcee the event. Auditions are expected to last about three hours and are open to the public.

Winners of the Indiana district competition will advance to the Central Region finals Nov. 4 at the Music Institute of Chicago in Evanston, Ill.

From there, regional winners will participate in the National Semi-Finals on March 3 at the Metropolitan Opera in New York.

At the Grand Finals Concert on March 10, 10 finalists will compete in a public concert with the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra.

Five grand prize winners will be awarded $15,000 each.

More national finals winners come from the Jacobs School than from any other institution, according to a press release.

- Kate Thacker